Good setup for my Golden Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
I was wondering if this was a good set up for my greek Stotle,
this is the biggest tank i can afford atm, its 50 gallons.
(i changed his water right after the pic, i change it daily cuz he always gets sand in it lol) hes very active and walks around daily so he seems happy! ^u^ since his tank is alittle small, i also take him out of it everyday for walks round my house, and outside when the weather is warm (its gettn kinda cold lately)
any advise or tips to make him alittle happier?:)
he soaks himself everyday, hes always walking around, eats great. i havent had any problems but im sure there's something more i culd do to make him happier ^u^

Attachments

• DSCN1282.JPG
    DSCN1282.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1284.JPG
    DSCN1284.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1285.JPG
    DSCN1285.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1286.JPG
    DSCN1286.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 57

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
He would definitely appreciate a different, moisture retaining substrate. Sand is no good for tortoises, the risk of impaction is too high. Aside from that, it doesn't allow for proper burrowing, and the lights can make it much too hot!

My little ibera greek has a mixture of organic top-soil and coconut husk about 6"deep, that she just loooooves to dig down in.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
[/img]
NudistApple said:
He would definitely appreciate a different, moisture retaining substrate. Sand is no good for tortoises, the risk of impaction is too high. Aside from that, it doesn't allow for proper burrowing, and the lights can make it much too hot!

My little ibera greek has a mixture of organic top-soil and coconut husk about 6"deep, that she just loooooves to dig down in.
This is the set up I have for my greek there is no hidie because he didnt use it he prefers to dig under the hay,oh I have coconut coir in there now with some seed that is growing
DSCN0958.jpg

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
sueb4653 said:
[/img]
NudistApple said:

This is the set up I have for my greek there is no hidie because he didnt use it he prefers to dig under the hay,oh I have coconut coir in there now with some seed that is growing
DSCN0958.jpg
Wow i never thought of that idea you had wit the tubs! looks like i'll be getting Stotle sum christmas presents! new tank and substrate haha. thank you so much for the picture that helps me out alot :D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That is a cool idea with the tub.. Pretty simple way to double the footprint of your setup.

I'm just thinking out loud, but if you could do this sort of thing with bigger tubs, you could have a breeding enclosure where multiple animals can escape each other in different rooms. Like my wife and I do when we fight! I like this idea alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.