Gopher Tortoise first winter in Southern California

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
Hi, This is my first winter for my tortoise. I inherited her Last January 2017.
My Uncle died in December. He lived in New York. In 1968, he was hunting in the Everglades while visiting my grandmother in Miami. He was driving and she was on the road. He brought her home and she has lived in Manhatten since 1968. Apparently, he never took her outside and she only ate carrots.
Last January, I kept her in a tortoise box with a heating pad.
I have got her eating everything. She LOVES baked sweet potato. She loves everything, Kale, strawberries, the things she should be eating.
She is outside now. She had dug a huge burrow under my patio. She loves it outside. I just can't believe she hadn't been out in 50 years. She definitely remembers how to be a tortoise outdoors. Anyways, she is in her burrow.
It's been very cold. We have the top enclosed and protected just in case it rains.
Here is my question. Should I take her, when she is out sunning, maybe later in the afternoon, and put her back in the tortoise box with the heater in it? I've been a little concerned. She seems fine, but I want to do the right thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as she's dry, she's ok where she is.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Hi, This is my first winter for my tortoise. I inherited her Last January 2017.
My Uncle died in December. He lived in New York. In 1968, he was hunting in the Everglades while visiting my grandmother in Miami. He was driving and she was on the road. He brought her home and she has lived in Manhatten since 1968. Apparently, he never took her outside and she only ate carrots.
Last January, I kept her in a tortoise box with a heating pad.
I have got her eating everything. She LOVES baked sweet potato. She loves everything, Kale, strawberries, the things she should be eating.
She is outside now. She had dug a huge burrow under my patio. She loves it outside. I just can't believe she hadn't been out in 50 years. She definitely remembers how to be a tortoise outdoors. Anyways, she is in her burrow.
It's been very cold. We have the top enclosed and protected just in case it rains.
Here is my question. Should I take her, when she is out sunning, maybe later in the afternoon, and put her back in the tortoise box with the heater in it? I've been a little concerned. She seems fine, but I want to do the right thing.
The temperatures dug deep under your patio should be just right for your tortoise to hibernate in. She is most likely a gopher tortoise from Florida. Our California Desert Tortoises are just awakening now to sun themselves, but they dig back into their burrow by afternoon. Your weather in Huntington Beach is a bit cooler than ours here in the high desert, so as long as she is deep enough and rain water can't soak her burrow, she should be fine. It's wonderful to see that after 50 years, her instincts still kick in to keep her safe and happy. Enjoy!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
That’s a special animal, so glad she has you now. Sounds like she’s landed herself a great retirement spot [emoji41]

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What a journey for that little tortoise! Glad you found this forum to help you in her care. Quite a transition from Manhattan to HB. Wow!