Gopher tortoises

Kathalena gosnell

My gopher tortoises was put in the same aquarium as a water turtle now he is not eating and he is inactive. Could the turtle have made home sick. He had a land mass to live on but he got in the water with the turtle his color is lighter than normal as well

Kathalena gosnell

Hello thank you for the welcome. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated I have a vet appointment for Monday morning but I don't know what to do until than I'm really scarf he might pass before than.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
it's doubtful he will pass before the vet appointment but he's most likely sick from something species shouldn't mix. Is he still with the water turtle or is he separate now?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes he could have easily gotten sick, either from the turtle passing disease or from the very improper care.

Keep him warm. How hot is your basking spot and how low is your overnight low?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The care parameters for good health in these two species are probably very different. They should be separated to ensure it doesn't make the other sick.

We never recommend mixing species as germs that one species can tolerate could kill another.

Kathalena gosnell

it's doubtful he will pass before the vet appointment but he's most likely sick from something species shouldn't mix. Is he still with the water turtle or is he separate now?
The care parameters for good health in these two species are probably very different. They should be separated to ensure it doesn't make the other sick.

We never recommend mixing species as germs that one species can tolerate could kill another.

Kathalena gosnell

No I separated them and gave him a heat lamp he is doing a little better. Do you know what I can give him That he will eat he is still not eating

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Mazuri, prickly pear pads and fruit, greens like dandelion, chicory, endive, etc. What have you been feeding? How hot is he getting under the basking lamp? How long was he in the semi-aquatic habitat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I separated them and gave him a heat lamp he is doing a little better. Do you know what I can give him That he will eat he is still not eating

When they don't eat it is because something in the environment is not right, or they are ill. It is not because you are not offering a food he likes.

We need to know more about how you are housing him to be able to help you.
-What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
-What equipment are you using to accomplish these temps?
-What substrate?
-What size and type of enclosure?
-Can we see a pic of the enclosure?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
There is very little nutrients in iceberg lettuce. He needs a lot more in his diet than he is getting now. It looks like you have a lot of work to do in getting him set up correctly. Start by reading this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

What state are you in? How sure are you that you have a Gopher (Gopherus polyphemus) tortoise?

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he was in the water, he may have pneumonia. Have you taken him to the vet?

Please post a picture of the tortoise so we can be sure it really is a gopher tortoise.

TortoiseBandock

As you have a Gopher Tortoise, my question is how you got the Gopher. Is it a rescue? As they're illegal to buy or sell, I hope he's doing better.