got a new bin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Tracy showed me pics of how she modified a Walmart tree bin for box turtles, saying it'd be great for keeping humidity up for my Redfoot (Makidash is her name).

So I was able to get one today and get it set up, and I can already tell how well it keeps the humidity in! YAAAAAAAAAAAY! And the length is really nice for her to go back and forth in, although it is a bit narrow and I'm sure she'll outgrow it in no time! LOL! But for the next several months it should be GREAT!!! (What is their growth rate, anyway?!?!)

Anyways, I didn't see hide nor hair of Makidash yesterday, and I didn't pull her out to eat, so today when I put her in there, she was up and at 'em, going every which way, sitting in the water dish climbing on the hide several times, and she ate a good amount! YAY! She couldn't figure out where I put the opening to the hide (LOL!) so when she slowed down I showed her, and she was in and out a few times then finally hunkered down in there!

I like this bin because it's the cloudy see-through, so I can see what she's up to even with the top covered! Couldn't do that before as she was in a wooden enclosure.

I still feel like I should put something else in it to make it more interesting for her to "play" in, when she feels so inclined. She's just got the log hide with moss piled all around it... a log to climb over, a slate rock, and water dish... and of course deep substrate. I want to get some climbing rocks or something... do they enjoy climbing as much as the Russians do?!? Or maybe something to climb THROUGH instead of oveR?!?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL Er... you want pictures? I can take some tomorrow!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Tracy showed me pics of how she modified a Walmart tree bin for box turtles, saying it'd be great for keeping humidity up for my Redfoot (Makidash is her name).

So I was able to get one today and get it set up, and I can already tell how well it keeps the humidity in! YAAAAAAAAAAAY! And the length is really nice for her to go back and forth in, although it is a bit narrow and I'm sure she'll outgrow it in no time! LOL! But for the next several months it should be GREAT!!! (What is their growth rate, anyway?!?!)

Anyways, I didn't see hide nor hair of Makidash yesterday, and I didn't pull her out to eat, so today when I put her in there, she was up and at 'em, going every which way, sitting in the water dish climbing on the hide several times, and she ate a good amount! YAY! She couldn't figure out where I put the opening to the hide (LOL!) so when she slowed down I showed her, and she was in and out a few times then finally hunkered down in there!

I like this bin because it's the cloudy see-through, so I can see what she's up to even with the top covered! Couldn't do that before as she was in a wooden enclosure.

I still feel like I should put something else in it to make it more interesting for her to "play" in, when she feels so inclined. She's just got the log hide with moss piled all around it... a log to climb over, a slate rock, and water dish... and of course deep substrate. I want to get some climbing rocks or something... do they enjoy climbing as much as the Russians do?!? Or maybe something to climb THROUGH instead of oveR?!?

The more you put in there.. the less room he has to move around in! The log is in the way.. [ I would remove it ].. it or anything else is just a set-up for a turn-over! They don't climb.. it's because it's in the path so they go over [ or through ] instead of around. Long and narrow.. rectangle.. is much better than "square".. more room to "sprint"!! The 'rubbermaid' type set-up is in the heat-emitter link.. http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm I thought I posted that?

And the moss should also be in the 'hide' to crawl into.

As I recall Makidash is about 4" (?).. so each year he could grow an inch or more until around 8". What are the dimensions of the 'bin' anyway?

Where da pics?

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I was working on some of the other torts today, so was distracted - was setting up the yearling leopard in one of these bings, too (but obviously TOTALLY set up different, and with no lid)!! Just snapped a pic... She DOES have moss in her hide, too (can't tell from the pic). The log to crawl over is really low, if you can see in the pic, near her hide.

I did put a few small holes on the far end of the cover for air flow... and also I threw some aluminum foil over (not totally) the opening with the lamp.

The bin is a smidgen over four feet long... it's a bit more narrow than I'd like, I think about 18 inches... but I think it'll suffice for a while... it's at least BETTER than the thing I had her in before. What I would REALLY like to do, is get a second one, and cut matching openings in the sides so she could go on either side... and have twice the space... but you know what? she doesn't do anything anyways so I don't know if she'd care just yet! LOL!

(Sorry she was hiding in her hide when I took the pics... she fills up about one third of her hide, but she can totally turn around in it.... although she'll need something bigger soon, there, too, I"m sure!)

102_4127.jpg

102_4128.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for sharing the pics Kelly! Good job.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
I was working on some of the other torts today, so was distracted - was setting up the yearling leopard in one of these bings, too (but obviously TOTALLY set up different, and with no lid)!! Just snapped a pic... She DOES have moss in her hide, too (can't tell from the pic). The log to crawl over is really low, if you can see in the pic, near her hide.

I did put a few small holes on the far end of the cover for air flow... and also I threw some aluminum foil over (not totally) the opening with the lamp.

The bin is a smidgen over four feet long... it's a bit more narrow than I'd like, I think about 18 inches... but I think it'll suffice for a while... it's at least BETTER than the thing I had her in before. What I would REALLY like to do, is get a second one, and cut matching openings in the sides so she could go on either side... and have twice the space... but you know what? she doesn't do anything anyways so I don't know if she'd care just yet! LOL!

(Sorry she was hiding in her hide when I took the pics... she fills up about one third of her hide, but she can totally turn around in it.... although she'll need something bigger soon, there, too, I"m sure!)

102_4127.jpg

102_4128.jpg

As long as the arrangement is like the model for the heat emitter [ heated humid-hide one end.. light over food dish on the other ] that rectangle size is perfect for a couple years. When the time comes you can use a black dish-pan with a doorway cut in it for a hide.

LOOKIN' GOOD Kelly!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Helpful pics! I finally know how to support the goofy lamp for Calvins new setup! Thank you!:D

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Supporting those lamps are a total pain in the butt, even when using them just in a regular set-up! I was getting frustrated and shoved that wood in there as a last ditch effort, then had a "DUH" moment! LOL!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Supporting those lamps are a total pain in the butt, even when using them just in a regular set-up! I was getting frustrated and shoved that wood in there as a last ditch effort, then had a "DUH" moment! LOL!

DUHYEP!!! That's why I have never liked those clamp lamps.

The simplest methods are most often the best.. and you were able to do just that! That is the heat emitter.. correct? What type fixture are you using for the light on the other end.. where the light is?

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
on the other end I cut a hole in it and set a UVB light on top... the hole is just a bit smaller than the clamp lamp, so it can just sit on top of it easily. that's rather nice, actually, because then instead of taking the whole lid on and off to put in food (or take out leftovers), or to mist it, I can just move the light and stick my hand through the hole!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
on the other end I cut a hole in it and set a UVB light on top... the hole is just a bit smaller than the clamp lamp, so it can just sit on top of it easily. that's rather nice, actually, because then instead of taking the whole lid on and off to put in food (or take out leftovers), or to mist it, I can just move the light and stick my hand through the hole!

Don't be surprised Kelly if he doesn't sit under.. or actually shuns away from the UVB - since they are "forest tortoises" they don't like a lot of light - http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/trophab.html - and gets most of their vit. D3 from their animal protein diet.. http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/feeding_redfoots.html

My redfoots have never had a UVB bulb in their enclosure.. my observations have concluded that they are much too costly for the results.. so they rely on their once a week rehydrated dry cat food.. animal protein.. for their D3 source.

Don't let this article confuse you..
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html

Use that UVB bulb for your "Desert" torts.

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yah I read on your site they didn't need UVB, but the only bulbs I happened to have were that and basking lights, and I didn't think she'd need the basking light since she has the heat emiter. Or would the basking light be better?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Yah I read on your site they didn't need UVB, but the only bulbs I happened to have were that and basking lights, and I didn't think she'd need the basking light since she has the heat emiter. Or would the basking light be better?

If I had the 'bin' you have Kelly.. I would do away with that heat emitter 'hooded' clamp-light monster ( use it for your baskers ) first!

Get your 1"x3" board and lay it across the end of the bin.. where the "hood" is now. Secure a ceramic socket on an electrical cord.. screw in the heat emitter.. lower to proper distance [ yes it can just hang there ] and plug it in - simple as that.

On the opposite end.. the under-cabinet tube fixture is what we use because.. when facing the end.. it directs the light that way.

Use another 1"x3" board and 'mount' the fixture on the board the same way you would as if your were mounting it under your cabinet! Take the light-cover off of the fixture.. and lay the board on top of the bin about 2' from the end.. facing the end. I would replace the tube with an aquarium / plant bulb.

Now you have the lid that just lays on top of the whole thing ( you'll have to cover the holes of course ) or get plexi or 1/4" osb cut to size.. whatever. This lid lays on top.. allows ventilation.. and can be easily removed [ without disturbing anything ] for maintenance!

I doubt you have 20 bucks invested in your 'new' bin set-up and it's much easier and 'functional'! Now you see why I agree that those clamp lights are a pain.. especially with those "HOOD MONSTERS".

Hope you're not mad at me.. I just like to keep it simple and I'm also cheap!

Terry

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
A lot of great information in this short thread:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
And with just a little modification.. a box turtle enclosure became a redfoot enclosure.

The box turtle enclosure didn't need the heat emitter.. only real difference!

Thanks all..

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.