Got her set up going good

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I was outside at the time I can see the pic better now

She's literally like three weeks old maybe a month she still had a tiny bit of yoke sac when I found her.
And I've had her for two weeks on Monday

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm a stay at home doggie mom at the moment so I check on her often and if her water feels really warm or if the temperature happens to be 75 or up in my home
I turn off the basking bulb for a bit and mist her substrate and then turn it on a little later when her water gets colder but I read that the uva in their basking bulbs can help their eyes see "the world of color"

View attachment 220901
I don't have the tube one because I felt it was a little ridiculous to spend that much on the tube and the fixture when I'm just gonna switch her tank to something bigger by Christmas hopefully

I have a tube uvb for a 15 gallon but it's a 12
And this is a 10 gallon
And my heat bulb at night is 75 watt cause it gets cold in my house at night, (I'm probably one of the worst to own a reptile cause I love it cold lol)
During the day it's warmer at least 73 in my house and the basking bulb is 50 watt. During night it gets like 68-72 in my house so I know she need the black heat bulb for sure at night
I don't have a thermometer for the tank yet either so I use my house temperature to kinda judge cause I live in a double wide so the heat of the sun or the coldness comes through pretty easy.
She seems to be wanting to eat I saw her open her mouth all the way but didn't go down toward the meal worm or anything
This one pictured is one that could possibly cause eye damage. They are meant to be hung side ways not up and down. I would replace it with a proper bulb that hasn't caused problems in the past.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you please explain how this is possible.
The uv is too concentrate to the ends of the bulbs causing eye damage. We seen it over and over on this forum. The bad bulbs weren't suppose to have been recalled. However, either old bad bulbs were still being sold or they are still cause damage. Either way, the coil bulbs are not meant to be hung the way it is in the picture.
You don't have to believe me. Search this forum for eye problems and you will see a lot of threads that they were using a coil bulb and when they stopped using it the eye problem cleared up. I have nothing to gain or lose here. Most of us just aren't willing to take a chance on our tortoises eyes. If you are then go for it. Just wanted you to know what this forum knows and recommends.

North Carolina
The uv is too concentrate to the ends of the bulbs causing eye damage. We seen it over and over on this forum. The bad bulbs weren't suppose to have been recalled. However, either old bad bulbs were still being sold or they are still cause damage. Either way, the coil bulbs are not meant to be hung the way it is in the picture.
You don't have to believe me. Search this forum for eye problems and you will see a lot of threads that they were using a coil bulb and when they stopped using it the eye problem cleared up. I have nothing to gain or lose here. Most of us just aren't willing to take a chance on our tortoises eyes. If you are then go for it. Just wanted you to know what this forum knows and recommends.

I was just asking you to explain. I didn't need any rudeness lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was just asking you to explain. I didn't need any rudeness lol
I wasn't being rude, just factual. Of course you can do what you want. Just want you to know what we have seen. Nothing was said in a rude way. At least I didn't mean it to be.

Peter Barrows

My house is kept at 68 at night and during the day, in winter anyway. For babies my enclosure is a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I use gentle heat at night but 75 watts on 10 gallons is lots of heat not gentle heat.

Sorry to hijack this post, but what temperature gun do you recommend? I have a Home Depot near me and cheapest they have is a $79 Milwaukee M12. But Amazon has many brands at $20.

Now I don't mind spending the extra money for my young Box Turtles & Baby Cherry Heads, but if anyone recommends a less expensive brand that is just as good, then I'd use that.

Right now I'm using the humidity/temp gauges you stick inside the habitat you get at PetSmart. One for cool side and one for warm side. Also the digital temp gauge that has a wire with the measuring end on the basking rock.

Also f.y.i., I'm using 2 different habitats, one for Boxies an one for Cherries.

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry to hijack this post, but what temperature gun do you recommend? I have a Home Depot near me and cheapest they have is a $79 Milwaukee M12. But Amazon has many brands at $20.

Now I don't mind spending the extra money for my young Box Turtles & Baby Cherry Heads, but if anyone recommends a less expensive brand that is just as good, then I'd use that.

Right now I'm using the humidity/temp gauges you stick inside the habitat you get at PetSmart. One for cool side and one for warm side. Also the digital temp gauge that has a wire with the measuring end on the basking rock.

Also f.y.i., I'm using 2 different habitats, one for Boxies an one for Cherries.

Thanks

Get the cheaper one from Amazon. I did and it works just fine!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
IMG_1578.jpg

Hello, cute little feller. I currently have 5 hatchling Box Turtles in this little file tote with only a 75 watt incandescent bulb for heat with no UVB. While I’ve always been a proponent of supplying UVB for hatchlings at an early age, I’ve also come to realize the importance of a varied supplemental calcium diet and higher humidity play a major role in the first year for proper shell development. I’ve made it an emphasis with this group and quite frankly getting them started on mazuri aquatic or Hikari aquatic was huge. I’ve been able to get these guys on a more varied diet quicker than any hatchling in the past by mixing the pellets in with greens, fruits, and vegetables. I am by know means disagreeing with the input from other members, I am simply stating diet is very important with little ones. I did get these guys outside for a couple hours a week until recently. The size of the enclosure is fine for now. I would suggest to add a plant or rinsed out moistened clumps of sphagnum moss to hold humidity. My night time temps are 68-70 so no worries and daytime is 77-81 on the highs. Just remember your little one will be active in the morning and spend the rest of it’s time hiding, sleeping, and growing. Best of luck and I highly suggest trying to get it on the pellets. Good luck!