Got Hermit crabs?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Anyone?

I have two, Mr Crabs and Patrick.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384653959.652531.jpg

They are your typical pet store purple claw guys. I got them off a FB a, the usual "my kid is not into them anymore". I enjoy them, but I feel like the only adult on the planet that has Hermies. Am I weird? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'll come clean,

Hermit crabs HATE me.

And I hate them.
----------
They pinch me, then die. I've read every book, every website. EVERYTHING.
They just don't like me.

I saw some at Petco.. they have clear shells! (ArtificialArtificially made of course)

Attachments

• 1384654215906.jpg
    1384654215906.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 106

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I think those clear shells are kinda rude. Give the guys some privacy! Sheesh!

Neither of mine have pinched. They are sweet. I have a hard time keeping their vivarium at 70% humidity, otherwise they have been "a pinch" to live with, HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Got Hermit crabs?

Sulcata_Sandy said:
I think those clear shells are kinda rude. Give the guys some privacy! Sheesh!

Neither of mine have pinched. They are sweet. I have a hard time keeping their vivarium at 70% humidity, otherwise they have been "a pinch" to live with, HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Lol!! Yeah. And they can't have direct sunlight either. No protection. Its a whimsical idea, but doesn't benefit the poor crab

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have a few hermit crabs as well, although I'll admit I use them as a cleaning crew. I put them in with my adult Greek tortoise and they help keep his home clean. Although the conditions are not ideal for the crabs, I make sure there is enough moisture for them in the bottom so they just burrow down and only surface to snack on whatever my tort leaves behind.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I love hermit crabs. I put them in with my redfoots. My redfoots dont like them. And the hermit crabs dont like me. They never cleaned the cage. And no matter what i did, they always die on me. So now i give up... :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I tried a couple and had bad luck with them. Of course, I wasn't sure when I got them what kind of shape they were in.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
We two for cage maintenance, they mostly just hangout in Rufus' hide but come out from time to time. They are way more active at night, and come out to snack on leftovers.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I haven't put them in them in with any torts yet, but rather, I feed them "tortoise tootsie rolls". [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I've had them awhile now, and they seem healthy. I think they are crazy cute, and I love to watch how they feed and drink.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I had a few off and on for a few years, until college. They're kind of fun and quirky like tortoises, but they honestly creep me out a bit. Especially when they change shells, eww. lol

So I don't have any now, but I DID have some as an adult :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I had two, now I had one. His name is Poppett he is doing quite well despite my efforts my torts don't bother him at all. He just resurfaced after being MIA for 3 weeks. He does act as a clean up crew too. I have found him in so interesting places so you definetly have to make sure the lids are very secure on your enclosure [FLUSHED FACE][FLUSHED FACE]

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I don't keep them but I do see them around the islands and coastal areas around far south FL. As mentioned before they are active mostly at night, and very busy- I've seen some about half a mile inland believe it or not! I never thought of keeping them with my tortoises though. I'm the type to worry about stupid megaremote possibilities, like one pinching a torts eye out. Ha!

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I had one as a kid, pinched my finger and clamped down for dear life. Still have a scar from that [UNAMUSED FACE]

But I just wanted to say that I LOVE your Spongebob pineapple hide! Did you name their vivarium Bikini Bottom? I think I am the only grown up that watches Spongebob.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have 2 and they are the great! They are so sweet and very social! :) We let them out of their cage to explore often. It is scary that they cant breath if the cage is not humid. I mist a lot! Mine molt a lot too. The pet store did not tell us about molting. I had to research it.....kind of a big deal!! They should let everyone know that!! The sand/dirt has to b deep enough to molt bcuz the other crabs in the cage will eat them.....I always seperate mine when I see the molting signs. Ok, I have blabbed enough!! :) :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I had bunches as a kid, so I made all this mistakes a million years ago, back before computers and internet. Eeeeek!

I'm in my 40's, so for me Spongebob is a new show. 😁
But I love it! Yep, totally SB theme on my crabitat. I mist mine twice daily, more if I'm home, and I pour water into the substrate to keep it moist underneath. I'm going to switch to coco coir next, with a sand side so they have both. I've seen some pretty amazing crabitats on a google search, so I'm going to work on mine. Guess it keeps me from buying more tortoises that I can't afford.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm looking for two new crabs, DANG they are difficult to find locally at anywhere other than Petco.
No luck on CL or Facebook groups, either.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Got Hermit crabs?

Sulcata_Sandy said:
I'm looking for two new crabs, DANG they are difficult to find locally at anywhere other than Petco.
No luck on CL or Facebook groups, either.

There we're two at the Pasadena Humane society a while back... got adopted REALLY fast... Have you checked pet harbor? Put in reptiles. Sometimes a few pop up

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I caved...bought two Hermies from the dreaded Petco today. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

$2.99 each!!!! I did tell them nicely the fancy painted shells are toxic. They appreciated it and the two staff members said they are ugly anyway.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Sulcata_Sandy said:
I caved...bought two Hermies from the dreaded Petco today. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

$2.99 each!!!! I did tell them nicely the fancy painted shells are toxic. They appreciated it and the two staff members said they are ugly anyway.

Yaaaaaaaaay! Name one Patrick. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
The current Patrick might get confused. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

But I do need help with names. I got a huge one, missing an eye.
A tiny one.

Already have Patrick and Mr Crabs. Can't use Gary...that is my Sorento's name....he looks like a snail, so it stuck. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]