Got My FIRST Tortoise Yesterday!

vcarol222

Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Florida
My daughter and I purchased our first Russian Tortoise yesterday. We are from Central Florida (GO GATORS!!) and are going to build an outdoor enclosure. How much sun should it receive daily? How deep does fence need to go? Should I bury a bottom to enclosure? What is the MAX amount of space it needs? I don't wanna lose him in the space, but I also want to make sure he has enough room to roam. want to make his enclosure as natural as I possible can. I kinda feel bad for him, I also live in the country so we have HUGE squirrels and Fat Raccoons and Possums. It would need to be predator proof as well. ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome. I gave him a spring mix pre-made salad yesterday, it doesn't contain any romaine or iceberg lettuce
We received him from a Craigslist ad and he was in a 40gal tank, with really long nails. He is at least 5yr old. How do I tell what his age really is? I let him wander for about an hour outside after we got him, while we watched him. He seemed to get tired after a few steps. I noticed others talking about soaking.. how does that work? what does it do? how often should I be doing this? Is that bathtub okay until I get an outdoor built?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Minimum space for an adult Russian is 4x8 feet bigger always better. They can dig out so a bottom is needed. I used a wired dog exercise pen I had as the bottom so weeds and grass etc can still grow thru. You can make a cheap wood frame out of 2x2" pieces of wood and attach chicken wire to it as a top. They can climb good too so the use of a smoother material or a over hang at the top of the enclosure is needed if no top is used.
Soak in warm water for an adult once a month for 20-30 minutes is enough more often is fine too. Always have a low sided clay saucer of water big enough for him to get into available 24/7.
Take a look in the enclosure section for ideas and at the Russian caresheet.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
We are from Central Florida (GO GATORS!!) and are going to build an outdoor enclosure. How much sun should it receive daily? How deep does fence need to go? Should I bury a bottom to enclosure? What is the MAX amount of space it needs? Fat Raccoons and Possums. It would need to be predator proof as well. ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome. I gave him a spring mix pre-made salad yesterday, it doesn't contain any romaine or iceberg lettuce
how often should I be doing this? Is that bathtub okay until I get an outdoor built?

Greetings,
From what I remember about my russian tortoises was that they don’t dig so much to get out, more as a sleeping spot. They are fierce climbers, climbing up the corners to get out and free. Most stop that with a piece of wood at an angle from one piece to the other horizontally to the ground. They start to climb, encounter the barriers and stop. You’ll want to give him as much space as y’all can. Most russian tortoises in the pet trade are wild caught adults and the only way to know their age is to get them as hatchlings. I have 1 sulcata tortoise about 16 years old. He weighs in at about 50-60pounds. His heated house is 4x4x4. I keep it warm with a radiator heater and it holds temps at about 100-110° f 24/7. Yes a large heated house is ideal, but you gotta get your temps higher. Protect him from raccoons/possums/rats&mice. They all will find him to be some good munchies at night while he sleeps. Read the threads at the tops of the specie specific sections and keep asking questions. Soon y’all will be answering them yourself. Welcome to the tortoise forum.
And on a side note …GO DUCKS …
Cowboy Ken

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I have had a similar experience with digging as @Cowboy_Ken. As long my Russian has a hide that he likes, he never digs. (his enclosure is 208Sqf btw, and it's never really hard to find him in it)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
If you don't use a bottom to your enclosure I would bury the sides down into the ground really deep... Just in case. 12 inches?

These guys in particular are Escape artists!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to our Forum!

Brit G

Texas
What a lucky Russian! I imagine he will be so much happier outdoors!