Got to Love Tort Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben awes

5 Year Member
I know others have shared about their tort cams, but I just can't get over the ability to be sitting at my office desk and glance over to my phone and see this. Inexpensive and super practical. I got it for traveling so that I could check on them whenever I want (even though the neighbor boy comes over to feed and water). But in the end i use it daily. Right now it helps me learn the patterns of our new Aldabra Brian - when he eats, soaks, naps, when he warms himself up, cools down, where he likes to hang out. I also track when my female leopard begins her mission to lay eggs, from her pacing to her initial starts and stops at digging - to watching her lay the eggs. When she is laying (always at night) I will even wake up in the middle of the night and check my phone to see if she is done. The cam has infrared so it can see in the dark without bothering her.

I have a Foscam camera - $80. Challenging for me to set up cause it's all french to me, and I still have problems with all that port forwarding crap, but I am addicted to the cam now!

anyway, really cool tool, can't recommend enough - just wanted to share!

Ben

snapshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I got one for travel too.... Or so I tell myself :) I love love love having a tort cam. As you said, it's great to learn their patterns and just check in! My little guy is most active when I'm at work, so it's nice to see him in his element.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You all are funny....(totally love it :p) I would one day love to configure one in the belly of one of the CDTs burrows here...one day.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Baby (Uncle) Brian is darling. Foscam? Like the one that was hacked in that baby's room? I sure hope no one starts talking to baby Brian from afar. Naughty hackers.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Baby (Uncle) Brian is darling. Foscam? Like the one that was hacked in that baby's room? I sure hope no one starts talking to baby Brian from afar. Naughty hackers.

Hahahaha

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Got to Love Tort Cam

tortoise5643 said:
How ,much is each camera and how much does it cost per month

I spent $100 on a decent Wi-Fi camera from best buy after getting a$60 one on amazon that was awful. It was awful because the set up for the Wi-Fi was so convoluted that even my networking-guru boyfriend couldn't figure it out. The $100 dollar one was set up in minutes. There's no monthly cost other than internet and electricity, which most folks have anyway.

ben awes

5 Year Member
tortoise5643 said:

Mine was $80. I think the price point made Foscam explode in popularity. I think the quality is pretty high and it works well - and they are getting more and more user friendly all the time.

there is no additional cost - just the purchase price - of course, you have to have internet and a phone with a data plan to take advantage of it.

Ben

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I read that webcams are being hacked more and more. Fortunately my torts don't mind being seen naked ;) - actually they would have it no other way! If someone did hack my cam, they could see my torts and my washer/dryer - that's about it.

Ben

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Got to Love Tort Cam

ben awes said:
tortoise5643 said:

Mine was $80. I think the price point made Foscam explode in popularity. I think the quality is pretty high and it works well - and they are getting more and more user friendly all the time.

there is no additional cost - just the purchase price - of course, you have to have internet and a phone with a data plan to take advantage of it.

Ben

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I read that webcams are being hacked more and more. Fortunately my torts don't mind being seen naked ;) - actually they would have it no other way! If someone did hack my cam, they could see my torts and my washer/dryer - that's about it.

Ben

Hahaha yeah... My camera doesn't move around, so a hacker could only see my tort going about his business!

Status
Not open for further replies.