Gotta go grass?

PatoLawndale13

Location (City and/or State)
San pedro CA
Hello. My first time posting . I have a sulcata tortoise and live in Southern California. I wondering if anyone knows if it safe to buy those "gotta go grass" pods from home depot to let my tort eat. I live in apartment and I don't trust the grass around the complex. So I thinking to buy a gotta go grass and put it on my patio soy tort can eat . Here a screenshot of what I am talking about aswell as a link. I asked a question on on the home depot website to to fins out aswell. But definitely want to check with this forum for knowledgeable experienced tort owners

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-223414_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-223414_Samsung Internet.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't know about the grass but your right to be cautious about grass in public places where pesticides, weed killers and fertilisers could be regularly used as well as pathogens from other animals.
My main concern for you and the tort is that sullies grow very quickly - how on earth are you going to keep a growing sulcata in an apartment a couple of years down the line?
This is the most up to date caresheet you need in case you haven't already found it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most sod has a plastic netting that the sod grows on. This netting can be very dangerous to a tortoise. If the grass you are talking about is not grown on this netting it would be okay. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't chance it.
You can get some dirt in some low sided containers and plant grass seed and grow your own. Get a few so you can change them out as they get smashed or eaten down.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I would never feed sod fresh from the store or field. I would say that it is guaranteed to be treated with even worse chemicals than what you are trying to avoid outside of your apartment. Sod farms use tons of herbicide to keep the crop monotypic as well as plenty of pesticides. Fertilizer sources are also questionable at best. The sod farms around me typically spray dairy cow waste but in other parts of Florida they use treated human waste.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. My first time posting . I have a sulcata tortoise and live in Southern California. I wondering if anyone knows if it safe to buy those "gotta go grass" pods from home depot to let my tort eat. I live in apartment and I don't trust the grass around the complex. So I thinking to buy a gotta go grass and put it on my patio soy tort can eat . Here a screenshot of what I am talking about aswell as a link. I asked a question on on the home depot website to to fins out aswell. But definitely want to check with this forum for knowledgeable experienced tort owners

I agree that this product is a definite "NO".

Find a feed store or go online and order seed intend for pastures. Even hardware store seed is often treated with all sorts of weird stuff. Get seed that is intended to be grown for animal consumption only. There are horse stables in Compton, and in PV not too far from you, and there must be horse supply stores nearby.

Sprout your seed in pot or on the ground in a garden bed, and cut it to feed to the tortoise, instead of letting the tortoise have access to the soil.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Walking and grazing weeds, grass are part of daily life of a tortoise. With a sulcata, you will need a large area for it down the road. Perhaps you will move to a house with yard in a couple years to accomodate this tortoise's need. In the meantime, do your best to enjoy and to correctly take care of it. Good luck to you.

PatoLawndale13

San pedro CA
Hi and welcome,
I don't know about the grass but your right to be cautious about grass in public places where pesticides, weed killers and fertilisers could be regularly used as well as pathogens from other animals.
My main concern for you and the tort is that sullies grow very quickly - how on earth are you going to keep a growing sulcata in an apartment a couple of years down the line?
This is the most up to date caresheet you need in case you haven't already found it
Hi and welcome,
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Definitely not planning to live in apartment for much longer. Growing sulcata living in apartment is a huge concern for me aswell.

PatoLawndale13

San pedro CA
Walking and grazing weeds, grass are part of daily life of a tortoise. With a sulcata, you will need a large area for it down the road. Perhaps you will move to a house with yard in a couple years to accomodate this tortoise's need. In the meantime, do your best to enjoy and to correctly take care of it. Good luck to you.
Thank you so much definitely plan to move and definitely trying to do the best I can to take care of him correctly. Thank yiu

PatoLawndale13

San pedro CA
I agree that this product is a definite "NO".

Find a feed store or go online and order seed intend for pastures. Even hardware store seed is often treated with all sorts of weird stuff. Get seed that is intended to be grown for animal consumption only. There are horse stables in Compton, and in PV not too far from you, and there must be horse supply stores nearby.

Sprout your seed in pot or on the ground in a garden bed, and cut it to feed to the tortoise, instead of letting the tortoise have access to the soil.
Thank you so much I will look for a feed store and go this route . I appreciate it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome! Glad to see you here. We'll try to answer any questions you may have.