GOVERNMENTAL DIRECTION

Overall positive or negative direction of our government?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Who feels our Government is headed in an overall positive/good direction or negative/bad direction.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
O-o-o-h! A can of worms!!!

I don't like the budget. If I don't have any money, I stop spending. Why should our gov't be any different? Get rid of some of the politicians and committees that are costing us money and live within our means.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think we need to delete them all, reboot the whole system, and ACTUALLY start following the Constitution and Bill of Rights that made this country the greatest on Earth in the first place!!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I think we need to delete them all, reboot the whole system, and ACTUALLY start following the Constitution and Bill of Rights that made this country the greatest on Earth in the first place!!!

I agree, seems we are on the same page with this issue also, things are a mess!:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the candidate who promises to follow the constitution and stand behind their pledge will get my vote, that means no more czars to start with.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
the candidate who promises to follow the constitution and stand behind their pledge will get my vote, that means no more czars to start with.

2012 will be interesting!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
That really can't be answered in such a broad spectrum........

What are we talking about? Local, State, or Federal Gov't? All three have had positives and negatives last time I kept up with it.......

I think what we really need to do is reboot the Media system and half of your Political issues will magically disappear.........You really do have to appreciate a good Media bias and mud slinging contest every now and then........Too bad 3/4 of the Country can't see through the smoke and mirrors......We the sheeple!!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eric, you think its only 3/4 that can't see through it? I don't think most people even know that 98% percent of what they see all around them is biased. Wasn't it Hitler's regime that said if you repeat a lie often and emphatically enough, it becomes the truth? Maybe that was Marx? Stalin...?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough people believe it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh. See, I knew it was one of history's worst villains...

Did you ever see "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise? Fantastic movie and a fantastic premise. Me paraphrasing; "It doesn't matter if we succeed. The world will remember that we tried..." Not everyone believed the lies...

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
We need politicians that care more about the country than getting re-elected.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Greg...you forgot the selection "To Hell in a Handbasket". Hopefully, and I really do mean, hopefully, our young people will not take the road that the youth of England and Europe have taken, though I can see it happening very easily in Chicago, NYC, LA and in the citys of other states where the laws tie the hands of the citizenry and prevent them from protecting themselves.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Definitely the right direction. Well, at least for the following people:

1) Selfish, narcissistic folks who believe "the government" (ie, you and me) should pay for every one of their wants and needs, and
2) Politicians who gain/maintain power catering to the above, and
3) Those who don't have even the basic critical thinking skills to see that history has already shown the path we are taking quickly falls apart.

From my view, the country has been going in the wrong direction for almost 100 years. It's been a slow, incremental progression, so we don't even realize how little freedom we really have or how useless most of the government is. Just look at the tax code. The tax code is more complicated than Einstein's theory of relativity. A gigantic, all powerful agency (IRS) exists because of it. We behave in certain ways because of the tax code (ie, to get deductions.) And there is a gigantic industry based on trying to figure out the ridiculously complex tax rules. Then there are all those executive agencies that answer to no one. The Dept. of Education??? That has been around for about 40 years, and it costs taxpayers about $77 BILLION dollars per year. Yet what results has it produced? We rank pretty low in math and science compared to other industrialized nations. I have 3 kids in public shools, and it's frightening what and how these kids are being taught. Social Security?? It's the very definition of a Ponzi scheme.

But it all comes down to "we the people," since "we the people" ARE the government. Seems like those on both the right and the left talk about sacrifice, but no one wants to walk the walk.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
Greg...you forgot the selection "To Hell in a Handbasket". Hopefully, and I really do mean, hopefully, our young people will not take the road that the youth of England and Europe have taken, though I can see it happening very easily in Chicago, NYC, LA and in the citys of other states where the laws tie the hands of the citizenry and prevent them from protecting themselves.

As a (does 20 count?) youth from LA, I can tell you that THIS youth will protect herself no matter what a government body tells me. Pardon me for being so blunt, but if the illegal gang member on my street can protect himself (I'm not even joking here; he has an arsenal in house) than I sure a Hades can as well.
Would I take to the streets and riot like those in London? No, because I frankly don't condone the blind looting that they are doing, and few of them even remember their initial cause to riot (which is also being disputed).
However, would I protect my house at all costs? Family included (my pets are my family, too)? You could count on that.

The problem with many people my age, friends included, is the sheeple mentality that Eric mentioned. Some watch Bill Maher, few watch O'Reilly (neither of those men I like nor watch), but ALL take what they say as fact. Not one of my friends looks for proof on their own. The only type of news I read religiously is crime sites, and even then I usually do my own fact checking (to the best of my ability) when outrageous claims are made (Seattle Weekly and LA Weekly both twist "fact" to death). The proof in the media pudding, that speaks volumes to me, was how I became disillusioned with becoming a journalist myself. Why? I was told that my assignment had "too much fact, and not enough story". I had to rewrite it to make it "interesting" and "newsworthy". By the end of it, there wasn't a single fact throughout the whole mock article. I was disgusted.
It extends way beyond what the news media says. Remember, it was Tina Fey on a Saturday Night Live sketch who said (dressed as Sarah Palin) that she could see Russia from her house. To this day, most of my friends attribute that quote to Palin. When I correct them? "Oh yeah, but I bet she's said it, too"

I trust my government (local, state, and federal) as far as I can throw it. Heck, as far I could throw the actual politicians- and if you've seen their waists, it isn't too far.

Sorry for the wall-o-text!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:

Grand idea...hopefully, this won't involve ropes and tree limbs, or at least not too many... ;)

Tom said:
Eric, you think its only 3/4 that can't see through it? I don't think most people even know that 98% percent of what they see all around them is biased. Wasn't it Hitler's regime that said if you repeat a lie often and emphatically enough, it becomes the truth? Maybe that was Marx? Stalin...?

Bu$$h/Cheney, too...

A good rule of thumb to remember is that whether the politician in question is a Republicrat or a Demopublican, he/she is still one side of the same counterfeit coin...

We need to get rid of BOTH political parties (and their offshoots like The Tea Party), dismantle the Electoral College, and let every voter's choice be acknowledged...

And consider Congress:

Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This is an idea that we should address.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
We must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
jaizei said:
We must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.
That quote makes me dizzy

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
There are pros and con's to having a "mainly" two party system. At times I am not a fan of either party, I feel that both are equally responsible for the mess that we are in. My concern with an open format, multiparty system is that with multiple competing parties, a small party can still come out with a majority vote and take control. In the last presidential election held in Germany in 1932, Hitler only received 30.1 percent of the vote. Within two years he was able to abolish the title of President (a title that he had failed to earn through election) and appoint himself the Fuhrer. Certainly not something we would like to repeat here in the US.

To me, the preservation of Civil Liberties is very important.

Give more power to the states. Leave social issues out of federal law. Let families decide how to define and run their families. Let neighborhoods decide how to govern their neighborhoods, communities and then states.

Status
Not open for further replies.