Graduate work with Desert Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
[from the latest Herp Digest issue]...figured I'd post it on here in case anyone here was applicable! You never know (shrugs)...
----------------------------------
MS GRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANTSHIP: ECOLOGY OF JUVENILE DESERT TORTOISES

We are seeking a motivated graduate student to join our research team in studying the ecology of juvenile Desert Tortoises. As part of a long-term head-starting program initiated this year, we are interested in a student who will study habitat selection of wild and released head-started juvenile desert tortoises. The goal of the habitat selection research is to identify factors that promote juvenile recruitment and survivorship in the wild, guide the selection of release sites for head-started Desert Tortoises, and inform sustainable energy development to minimize impact to critical habitat features in the Mojave Desert.

The incumbent would be joining a team currently composed of three faculty researchers and a PhD student, all active in this research at the study site. The incumbent would be expected to design and focus his or her research on the development of a juvenile habitat selection model and to assist the research team with complementary aspects of the project, including husbandry of captive juvenile Desert Tortoises.

The ideal candidate would possess prior field experience with Desert Tortoises and their habitat to facilitate permitting in the state of California, GIS skills, and an interest in applied conservation.

The field work will be based in the Mojave National Preserve. The assistantship, through the University of California, Davis, Department of Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology, covers one academic quarter and summer quarter each year (stipend and tuition fees). A successful applicant must be competitive in the admissions process for the Graduate Group in Ecology at UC Davis as support for remaining academic quarters are expected to come from teaching assistantships during the non-field season.

The application deadline for the Graduate Group in Ecology at UC Davis is 15 December 2011.

For more information about the project, the graduate group, the application process, or my lab, please see my website at the address below or contact me at the address below.

Brian D. Todd
Assistant Professor
Department of Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
1077 Academic Surge
Davis, California 95616
Email: [email protected]
530-752-1140
fax: 530-752-4154

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
The wife is from Davis and has kids & grandkids there. to bad we only visist during Christmas and Spring Break... I'd love this job!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I would love this too, it's basically what I want to do someday...I have GIS skills!

Status
Not open for further replies.