Grape leaves no longer eaten?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
About 12 years ago I brought home a type of Muscadine from my property in South Carolina as food for me.
The genus is Carlos. Larger in flavor and smaller grapes than the type for sale in stores.
Then one day, I Began giving the leaves to my Redfoot tortoises. Every day they ate them almost and every season the vines grew even more gigantic.
Eventually the tortoises only wanted the small, pale green leaves. This went on for a few years.
I even sent seeds to several members to grow their own since I'd had such success.....
This year I'd pruned back the vines while they were dormant. They returned with thousands (thousands) of small grapes but not one of my tortoises will even bite a single leaf.
Any thoughts?
I'm at a loss.
BTW I've never used pesticides or any fertilizers, etc.
Never needed to.

Attachments

• 20160118_111615.jpg
    20160118_111615.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150619_134202.jpg
    20150619_134202.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 10

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the only thing that really comes to mind is the taste of them must have changed somehow I've been feeding grape leaves for 15 plus years and they scarf them down every chance they get

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, weird. Maybe the taste is more pronounced or like David said has changed. Wait and see what happens with a new batch of leaves next year.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
About 12 years ago I brought home a type of Muscadine from my property in South Carolina as food for me.
The genus is Carlos. Larger in flavor and smaller grapes than the type for sale in stores.
Then one day, I Began giving the leaves to my Redfoot tortoises. Every day they ate them almost and every season the vines grew even more gigantic.
Eventually the tortoises only wanted the small, pale green leaves. This went on for a few years.
I even sent seeds to several members to grow their own since I'd had such success.....
This year I'd pruned back the vines while they were dormant. They returned with thousands (thousands) of small grapes but not one of my tortoises will even bite a single leaf.
Any thoughts?
I'm at a loss.
BTW I've never used pesticides or any fertilizers, etc.
Never needed to.
Are they the same redfoot torts that were eating them years back?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes. Minus the three that I found new homes for.
Maybe because the vine is so mature now the foliage tastes different(bitter). Just a guess.
Or maybe your soil is making the vines taste different(if that's possible).
Or maybe your torts taste has changed, I've noticed none of my hatchlings or juveniles will eat narrow leaf plantain(broad leaf yes), all my adults love it.