Grass in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
2-23-2013 5.jpg2-23-2013 4.jpg2-23-2013 3.jpg2-23-2013 2.jpg2-23-2013 1.jpgHey folks,just an update on Rhino. Weighted him today and he is now 77 Grams. Not bad,I don't think. A while back,I purchased some seed from Sulcatafood.com. I think it was the medium size. I planted some in trays and it came up good. I had a problem giving it to Rhino. I thought to myself that this did not teach him foraging skills. So,I decided to try a spot within his closed enclosure to plant some directly in the coco coir. It came up and is like 4" tall. Well, I planted another little spot and it came up too and is 4". He loves it. He gets to decide for himself whether he wants spring mix,orchard grass hay,Mazuri(on occasion),or Zoo med grassland or the grass that is growing. I plan on planting more seed tomorrow to give him more and to also offer him shade and hide outs. He gets inside the middle of the patches and it's like he's saying,NA NA you can't find me. It's so funny.

View attachment 38515View attachment 38516View attachment 38517View attachment 38518View attachment 38519I thought I would add some pics of the Rhino eating and of his grass clumps. If you look at his face,he reminds me of our kids when they were little. Well,what do you expect? Try eating with no hands and see how you fare.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Folks the new stand of grass is coming along great. I thought I would need a lawn mower and then I thought, Rhino is already in there.LOL. Now,I'm going to plant a dwarf elm directly in the substrate. It is an Hokkaido Elm. Based on the plant directory on Tortoise Table it is ok. Here's the link in case anybody else wants to bring the outdoors in for their babies.

http://www.shop.twogreenthumbs.com/Dwarf-Princess-Elm-UPHK1.htm

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Can I ask how old yours is? I rescued one off Craigslist this weekend that also weighs 77g and I'm just trying to estimate the age... Thanks!

scottishscott

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
Can I ask how old yours is? I rescued one off Craigslist this weekend that also weighs 77g and I'm just trying to estimate the age... Thanks!

Ours will be 6 months as of next week. We need to track each others progress.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Okay, that will help :) I have another that is suppose to be 1.5 years and weighs in at 2.7 lbs and a baby that's suppose to be 3-4 months and weighs 57 grams.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
So when I got mine on Friday it weighed 77g and today it weighs 91g!

scottishscott

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
So when I got mine on Friday it weighed 77g and today it weighs 91g!

Has yours been eating a lot and if so has he/she pooped since Friday? You would be surprised how that adds to the weight. Try soaking him in warm water for 30 min. to an hour. That should get him/her to go and then weight. That's how I do mine.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I too planted grass directly in the coco coir - grows great! I'm going to plant some pansy seeds within the next few days and see how they do.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
grass1.jpggrass2.jpg
gieseygirly said:
I too planted grass directly in the coco coir - grows great! I'm going to plant some pansy seeds within the next few days and see how they do.

Oh check out my new stand of grass.Rhino loves meandering through it. I decided against a dwarf elm and have chosen to plant a dwarf spirea in the enclosure check out the mini trees and bushes at this place.

http://www.miniforest.com/spjaalmisp.html

Last edited by a moderator:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
scottishscott said:
Has yours been eating a lot and if so has he/she pooped since Friday? You would be surprised how that adds to the weight. Try soaking him in warm water for 30 min. to an hour. That should get him/her to go and then weight. That's how I do mine.

He/she pooped right before, he/she has been eating a lot though. The only thing it was fed was tortoise pellets which were completely molded and a little romaine :(

scottishscott

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
He/she pooped right before, he/she has been eating a lot though. The only thing it was fed was tortoise pellets which were completely molded and a little romaine :(

Wow, he/she sure put on a lot of weight. I wish Rhino would.

Status
Not open for further replies.