Grass Mix for Egyptian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

WITortLvr

5 Year Member
If all goes as planned, I should be acquiring a pair of T. Kleinmanni shortly.... I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and make sure I have everything ready for them.
I wanted to try to start growing a small planter of edible grasses for their cage, but I'm having a problem finding the types of grasses that they'd encounter in "real life".
Can anyone tell me if any of the seed mixes sold on turtlestuff.com are ok for Egyptians?
I've also seen people mention that they feed cactus pads. I haven't been able to find if they would be ok for them to eat, are they?

TIA!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I'm curious as to what is 'testudo mix' and how was it formulated.

As to what to feed an Egyptian... Mazuri... yea... I know it sounds like a commercial to some but the Egyptians do fantastic on the diet. If I had the diet years ago many more would still be alive... they are a very delicate species but if you hit it just right they are bullet proof.

egyptiandan said:
My Egyptians won't eat grass :p Desert type plants are found in the areas that they occur in. You can get a Testudo seed mix for your Egyptians http://www.turtlestuff.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=522290&cat=59 That will work great for them.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
-EJ said:

Here's a quote from the site:

Mediterranean tortoises have a wide range throughout areas of Northern Africa, the Middle East, and Asia Minor. These wonderful animals have needs which differ from their grassland and forest dwelling cousins.

Testudo species love their weeds and wildflowers, as well as cactus.

The following species are included (but more are added as available!):
Schismus, Plantagos, Medics, Vicias, Dichondra, Taraxum, Lotus, Chichorium, Capsella, Malvas, Trifoliums, T. subterraneans, Pisum, Erodium, and others as available!

I don't know how it was "formulated," but my Russian tortoises really loved the different kinds of broad-leafed plants that grew from this mixture. The site also sells the different kinds of seeds not in a mixture and you can mix and match your own.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Advertising at it's best.

Next question... what is the nutritional composition of this mix?

Don't get me wrong. More power to Annie.

emysemys said:
-EJ said:

Here's a quote from the site:

Mediterranean tortoises have a wide range throughout areas of Northern Africa, the Middle East, and Asia Minor. These wonderful animals have needs which differ from their grassland and forest dwelling cousins.

Testudo species love their weeds and wildflowers, as well as cactus.

The following species are included (but more are added as available!):
Schismus, Plantagos, Medics, Vicias, Dichondra, Taraxum, Lotus, Chichorium, Capsella, Malvas, Trifoliums, T. subterraneans, Pisum, Erodium, and others as available!

I don't know how it was "formulated," but my Russian tortoises really loved the different kinds of broad-leafed plants that grew from this mixture. The site also sells the different kinds of seeds not in a mixture and you can mix and match your own.

WITortLvr

5 Year Member
Grass... desert weeds.... same difference! :p

I was planning on using Mazuri, but not as the bulk of their diet. I was hoping to be able to give them as much fresh green stuff as possible.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.