Grasses/Weeds/Greens

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
Hello! I am looking to find some grasses and such outdoors for my 5 month old redfoot. I am in CT and with winter approaching I'd like to freeze some once I find out what he likes.
Any recommendations for what is safe/best are greatly appreciated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
dandelions are big hit plus you should be able to grow them inside all winter long

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I would check out tortoisesupply.com, they have lots of good seed mixes that you can grow inside. That is what I am starting to work on now to feed my Leopards over the colder months.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Have you had luck with Dandelions before?
None of my RF will go near them. And i went to great lengths to find some.

If you only tried them once, you should try different sources. Taraxacum officinale, the common dandelion, can vary greatly
depending on where it was grown. Many of the commercially available types can be very bitter. I would try again.
Dandelion is too beneficial a redfoot food to pass up.
And by the way, if you are using mazuri understand that it is high in sugar and redfoots
may pass up other more beneficial foodstuffs in favor of the artificial diet.

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

My sulcata likes Mallow quite a bit. She's also a fan of hibiscus and violas/pansies leaves and flowers. She also really likes Wheat grass and Barley grass.-These seeds are super easy to grow inside too.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Have you had luck with Dandelions before?
None of my RF will go near them. And i went to great lengths to find some.
Try picking smaller leaves, the larger the leaf the more bitter it is, so I was told.
I've noticed when my reds wander the garden they always eat the smaller leaves of dandilions. This is either because they are better tasting or because its more convenient to collect from ground level on lower lying dandies.