Gravid kinixys homeana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Last weekend i noticed my gal digging a nest. A few more have been dug, but none have met her standards. I did palpate her then but did not feel anything. Today is a different story, ova could be felt on both sides. They also are further down, hope this indicates oviposition will take place soon.

She seems to be starting early. Maybe she will produce three clutches this year?
~Ben[/i]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Mr. Zone 7b!!!":

How lucky is that? I hope you get eggs and they all hatch! Be sure to take some pictures of all the processes and write up some pictorials for our Hingeback section.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
emysemys said:
Hi "Mr. Zone 7b!!!":

How lucky is that? I hope you get eggs and they all hatch! Be sure to take some pictures of all the processes and write up some pictorials for our Hingeback section.

Oviposition has occured. This am she was finishing up at 8am. Three eggs were laid. Fertility has been an issue with my homeana, should have an idea about this clutch in a few weeks.
I did take a few photos of the process. Currently my time is devoted to my I. forstenii work, hope to have that complete by March. I will determine then what I will work on next, kinixys is on the list.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nothing is much cuter then a hatchling hingeback, hope you have three new ones on their way.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Not the best news on the homeana ova.
2 ova from 1/23/11 appeared viable after about 4 weeks, they failed not long after. 3rd from that clutch was infertile.
On 3/14/11 female #44 laid her second clutch of 4. 1 of these was broken during nesting. Of the remaining 3, 2 also appeared viable, and like the first clutch failed at 5-6 weeks.
A friend who keeps a few pairs of K.spekii has had very similar results with incubation. Only hatching 1 in 2008.
I am going to try something different with the next clutch, likely will be waiting until 2012 for that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Very sad and disappointing news. I was looking forward to seeing them, as I know you were. What are you thinking of changing next time around?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
:( Very sad and disappointing news. I was looking forward to seeing them, as I know you were. What are you thinking of changing next time around?
Thinking a warm dry diapause at the beginning. Similar to what you were trying maybe, how is that going?
Read a little about this method on a different forum, being used for the genus acanthochelys.
Disappointing yes, although I do enjoy learning about what doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.