Grazing question

Kwatro

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I was considering bringing my large sulcata to a family members place for her to graze in their yard. I do know that they recently used herbacides in their rock area to control weeds about a month ago, which the tortoise will have access, and it has only rained 1 time since. Is there a length of time I should wait or other things I should be concerned with before I bring her over? She is 5 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't risk it. Imagine your tortoise dead or dying from poisoning. With that image in your head, is it worth it? Leave your tortoise home. Bring safe food home for your tortoise. If there are safe areas with good grass or plants at your family member's house, cut some with scissors and bring it back to your tortoise.

Tortoises also don't like change or being moved to a new area, and there are also too many potential hazards, in addition to poisoning from yard chemicals or poisonous plants or weeds, in a new area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience with rescued sulcatas (I ran a tortoise rescue for about 25 years or so) that the first day I took them in they went crazy eating the grass. They were totally happy being here. But after that first day, when they were still here, and not at home in their safe area, they just stayed inside the shelter and sulked. It generally took about a week for them to start venturing out. That's stressful for the animal. I wouldn't do it.