GREAT APP FOR PLANT ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks to RuthJanice for suggesting this to another member. I had to share it with everyone. Google leafsnap and there are sites to download an app for ipad, iPhone, and android for snapping a pic of a plant leaf and getting it identified. I haven't used it yet. I actually just got done downloading the app. However, if it works like RuthJanice said, it will be a great tool for IDing a plant and then you can look it up on the tortoisetable.org or tortoiselibrary.com to see if it is tort safe.
If anyone has used it, let us know what you think and how well it works.:)
Thanks.
Happy leaf snapping:D

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Yes its free. I've had pretty good luck so far. It is very picky about the background being white. But for a phone app it does pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RuthJanice said:
Yes its free. I've had pretty good luck so far. It is very picky about the background being white. But for a phone app it does pretty good.

I was hoping you were still available to see this. Can't wait to try it. Thanks again.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
There are also apps specifically for weeds -

PlantNet is another app. I would suggest searching the apps to see what you can find that is helpful for your area. They are specific for trees, plants, grasses, etc.

wellington said:
Thanks to RuthJanice for suggesting this to another member. I had to share it with everyone. Google leafsnap and there are sites to download an app for ipad, iPhone, and android for snapping a pic of a plant leaf and getting it identified. I haven't used it yet. I actually just got done downloading the app. However, if it works like RuthJanice said, it will be a great tool for IDing a plant and then you can look it up on the tortoisetable.org or tortoiselibrary.com to see if it is tort safe.
If anyone has used it, let us know what you think and how well it works.:)
Thanks.
Happy leaf snapping:D

Minority1

5 Year Member
Haven't found a good android app for leaf identifying yet. (leafsnap has not come out with one yet*)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Minority1 said:
Haven't found a good android app for leaf identifying yet. (leafsnap has not come out with one yet*)

When I googled it the leafsnap came up and listed android. You can't really get leafsnap, is that what your saying? Sorry if you can't, it was listed, so I assumed you would have them available too.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Barb, thanks for the tip. I am going to check it out! This is what I need. I can't even remember which weeds I have planted, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not very computer savvy, so let me get this straight.

I download this app for my iPad, take a pic of a weed leaf on a white background, and it ID's the weed for me?

Sounds to good to be true. Does it really work? Anyone with first hand experience?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't used it yet. However, you can even click a button and if you allow it to, it will soon in on your location and tell you about some of the larger, I think more like trees, that you have in your area and shows a pinpoint.
I'm going to try it now that I'm thinking of it. I have a mulberry and plumeria in my house. I'll see if it can tell me what it is.

The leaf has to be on a white back ground. You take the pic through the app. I did my mulberry only ( Minot plucking a leaf off my plumie) it did not come up with the name of my tree. However, it did show a red mulberry leaf, but it didn't look nothing like my leaf.
I really hope it works at least fairly good. It would be very useful.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I was bummed for two reasons; 1) it's tailored for the east coast of the USA and I'm on the west coast 2) it seems it is for tree identification.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, I'm not sure it's working out as good as I thought it was going to. I'm getting the impression too, that it might be more for trees then weeds and stuff.:(
Hopefully it will come in handy for some stuff.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
I went looking for this app, and it doesn't seem to be available for Android. If anyone has found an Android app that works I'd love to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.