Great group - asking for some help Box Turtle and Russian Tortoise - pictures

KSeaman

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I adopted this little box turtle a little over a year ago from the local humane society but I am not sure what she is. I have looked at tons of pictures but I just cant tell. Can someone please tell me what Box Turtle variety she is? Is she a Desert Box Turtle or an Ornate Box Turtle or maybe none of the above?

I also want to introduce my newest addition a 20 year old Russian Tortoise. She came into our local shelter in pretty bad shape but seems to be on the mend now.

I hope I don't post too many pictures. I am very excited for spring and summer so they can go out into their enclosures.

Thanks in advance.

Kathi

Indoor Box Tutle enclosure.jpg Stacked.jpg Looking out.jpg Close up butt shot.jpg WHS-Tortoise right side long beek view.JPG First day with new Russian Tortoise 2-22-19.jpg WHS -Side view of Tortoise new beek.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I adopted this little box turtle a little over a year ago from the local humane society but I am not sure what she is. I have looked at tons of pictures but I just cant tell. Can someone please tell me what Box Turtle variety she is? Is she a Desert Box Turtle or an Ornate Box Turtle or maybe none of the above?

I also want to introduce my newest addition a 20 year old Russian Tortoise. She came into our local shelter in pretty bad shape but seems to be on the mend now.

I hope I don't post too many pictures. I am very excited for spring and summer so they can go out into their enclosures.

Thanks in advance.

Kathi

Oh, that Russian in pic # needs some attention....that overgrown beak is a sign of either a history of the wrongs set up or wrong diet.....but a beautiful tot just the same...

I too am super excited about spring or summer...each day I awake I think, ah dang, still no warmth....:)

KSeaman

Washington
Yes, poor thing he had been pretty badly neglected. Some people don't realize that there is more to having pets than just having them. We need to learn everything we can, we owe it to them. I so appreciate sites like this one that are dedicated to education and sharing. He was starving / emaciated probably because he couldn't eat due to the length of his beak. If you look at the last picture we are working on getting his beak where it should be. His little feet were also bleeding, NO idea how that happened. He was pretty hissy but is getting better and more trusting each day.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome someone will be able to identify your box. I am a novice at best so I can't help. Read the care sheets on Russians. If you have them together you will need to separate them. Russia's require a lot of space. You can never have to many pictures. We love pictures.
Good luck

KSeaman

Washington
Yes they are om separate set ups. The area for my Russian is smaller than I would like now but as soon as spring comes he will be outside in a much larger area and I can start working on his bigger area for next winter.

Any thoughts on what my box turtle might be? Would a picture of her plastron help to identify her type?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's what used to be known as a desert box turtle, or ornata luteola, but the powers that be have done away with that designation and they are now all ornata.

KSeaman

Washington
Seems odd they wouldn't want a way to identify the different varieties but in any case thank you for the ID. When did they just all get thrown in together?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know for sure. I was talking with a more experienced, science type person and said something about "luteola" and they corrected me that there is no more luteola designation. However, when I do a Google search to try to find some truth to the matter, nothing comes up. I'd really appreciate if anyone knows about this name change, could you refer us to the info about it?