Great Pyrenees what????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
I have 2 Great Pyrenees and a husky and terrier mix up too.
One of the GP was given to us last year and has a golden colour. It was sold to the previous owner-THIS IS FUNNY as a special European variety:D:D:D

Obviously the colour is wrong but every aspect of his nature and guarding and excellent temperament is spot on pyrenees.

ANY IDEAS on what he might have as a mix?
My kids say Cow Chow as he has a small black spot on his tongue-not sure how many dogs have blue spot on tongues?100_9106.JPG100_9106 (Medium).JPGP6110287 (Medium).JPG

The white one was just diagnosed with bone cancer so not sure how much time we have with her now-really devastated about that she is only 7 and a half-best dog we have ever had:( She is kept comfotable on pain killers and steroids for now and we continue to watch her to ensure she is still enjoying her life.

Louise

P3231157 (Medium).JPG

Forgot this photo

Tortoise said:
Hi
I have 2 Great Pyrenees and a husky and terrier mix up too.
One of the GP was given to us last year and has a golden colour. It was sold to the previous owner-THIS IS FUNNY as a special European variety:D:D:D

Obviously the colour is wrong but every aspect of his nature and guarding and excellent temperament is spot on pyrenees.

ANY IDEAS on what he might have as a mix?
My kids say Cow Chow as he has a small black spot on his tongue-not sure how many dogs have blue spot on tongues?

The white one was just diagnosed with bone cancer so not sure how much time we have with her now-really devastated about that she is only 7 and a half-best dog we have ever had:( She is kept comfotable on pain killers and steroids for now and we continue to watch her to ensure she is still enjoying her life.

Louise

Forgot this photo

P6110293 (Medium).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He does look a little like my Bear.

069-1.jpg

066-2.jpg

We think he is GP and chow.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I would say Chow is well represented with 99.99% confidence. There is a dna test available to determine the makeup of mixed breed dogs....it's called the Wisdom Panel http://www.wisdompanel.com/?utm_sou...ork&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=k271169

Have sent off several with mixed results. This is not intended to be used to prove purebreed status of a dog (all purebreeds are mixtures of other breeds). Give it a look and mention it to your vet.

Doc

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My vote goes to chow too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
chow chow...
Bone cancer is awfull... and painful. www.tripawds.com is fulll of people with dog who have that.. some have had the surgery to remove the leg in hopes they caught it soon enough..

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks for the opinions-do you think its significant that he has the blue spot on his tongue?
Louise

Jacqui said:
He does look a little like my Bear.

069-1.jpg

066-2.jpg

We think he is GP and chow.

Yes they are very similar that's for sure.
Jack has a beautiful temperament and is very loving.
He is coming up 3yrs and we were given him last fall by friends moving back to Europe from Canada.
Thanks for the photos of your dogs
Louise

Laura said:
chow chow...
Bone cancer is awfull... and painful. www.tripawds.com is fulll of people with dog who have that.. some have had the surgery to remove the leg in hopes they caught it soon enough..

Yes I asked the vet about amputation but she said because their weight is distributed 60% through their front legs it would be very tough for her to adjust.(she is over 100lbs in weight) She is not young either as big dogs go. She is 7.5 yrs
Also she has always been afraid of slippery surfaces and is very cautious about losing her footing so i think for her it just would not be a fair thing to do.Also I read that in 90% cases when there is a tumor there is likely to be cancer already in other parts of her body, so surgery would be buying time but not very much I am told.
She has had a fantastic life and loved beyond belief but I had anticipated having her a lot longer.
She is on medication to keep her comfortable so we are taking each day as it comes and so far she is still happy.

I will look at the website link regardless
Thanks
Louise

exoticsdr said:
I would say Chow is well represented with 99.99% confidence. There is a dna test available to determine the makeup of mixed breed dogs....it's called the Wisdom Panel http://www.wisdompanel.com/?utm_sou...ork&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=k271169

Have sent off several with mixed results. This is not intended to be used to prove purebreed status of a dog (all purebreeds are mixtures of other breeds). Give it a look and mention it to your vet.

Doc

I never heard of that-thanks its very interesting.
I have another little mixed breed I wonder about as I never saw a dog like her before.
Thanks
Louise

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I'm late but I agree with Chow as well. Actually had you not mentioned that she was Pyr/mix, I'd of labeled her Chow/mix right off the bat. As for the spotted tongue ...... I've heard that the Chow is the only breed with a blue (black?) tongue. I could be wrong on that but its usually a good indication. He looks like a really sweetheart. Pure Chows tend to be one owner dogs, those I've met, but I find that mixes (also going by those I've met) have all been very friendly and more out going.
I'm sorry to hear about your Pyr with cancer. If you havent already, cheap carpet runners layed out for her would make it easier for her to walk to and fro without fear of slipping. I think you are doing the right thing in keeping her comfortable instead of surgery/treatment. Been there a few times ... its not fun. As you said ... you are giving her a good life. Thats all they care about. Time means nothing to a dog, its the quality and love they get during their time here that means everything to them.
When its time for her to cross over, may it be peaceful and love-filled for you both.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wirewehear said:
I'm late but I agree with Chow as well. Actually had you not mentioned that she was Pyr/mix, I'd of labeled her Chow/mix right off the bat. As for the spotted tongue ...... I've heard that the Chow is the only breed with a blue (black?) tongue. I could be wrong on that but its usually a good indication. He looks like a really sweetheart. Pure Chows tend to be one owner dogs, those I've met, but I find that mixes (also going by those I've met) have all been very friendly and more out going.
I'm sorry to hear about your Pyr with cancer. If you havent already, cheap carpet runners layed out for her would make it easier for her to walk to and fro without fear of slipping. I think you are doing the right thing in keeping her comfortable instead of surgery/treatment. Been there a few times ... its not fun. As you said ... you are giving her a good life. Thats all they care about. Time means nothing to a dog, its the quality and love they get during their time here that means everything to them.
When its time for her to cross over, may it be peaceful and love-filled for you both.

Thanks wirewehear
That brought tears to my eyes.
I took her on a fairly long walk yesterday alone without the 3 other dogs.It was really nice but going at her pace-slow plodding-took a while but she was really happy so I came back with tears in my eyes wondering how many more walks like that we will get-it breaks my heart-its hard to type on the computer with tearing eyes though!

Thanks I appreciate the support-its hard knowing she is here and I don't know how long for-I'm trying to just enjoy her but its tough-I love this dog.....

Jack the pyr/chow cross is a real sweet heart too-no way a one person dog-loves everyone especially kids.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
wrmitchell22 said:
I totally see chow and that would be in line with great guarding ability even without the GP :)

Jack is a natural guard-the first night he was dropped off here he was patrolling with the alpacas-totally trust worthy too.
Loves everyone though no guard for human beings although I think they would act if they felt it was necessary.

Perhaps we should deliberately cross these breeds! Perhaps be a bit healthier too. (so many have now told me about bone cancer in pyrs)

There is a bond with this breed stronger than I have seen in other breeds-I love the pyrs.They have unlimited patience with children-gentle giants, yet walking in bear country here I feel safe.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Muffin was put to sleep yesterday after fighting with bone cancer for a few months. She gave us signs enough was enough.
She has been without a doubt the best dog we ever had and we will miss her so much.DecJan0809 013 (Medium).jpgcocoa and whiteshell etc 018 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear that, Louise. Very sad indeed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry. My first Dane died of bone cancer 20 years ago. That one really ripped me up...

I wish you well with your other dog. I see chow too.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
Im sorry for your loss. :( Its always sad to lose a pet.
Im going to go way off the chow track and tell you Tibetan Mastiff. also a dog of chinese origin so the black tongue would be possible. Shar Pei show black tongue also... also chinese. i could be wrong, especially since Tibetan Mastiffs are a Prized posession in China, they are also know for being very protective too.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I am so sorry for your loss :( My chesapeake bay retriever died from a ruptured stomach tumor last August she was 10 years old :( it is awful that cancer is so prevelant in many breeds.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
FranklinAndTara said:
Im sorry for your loss. :( Its always sad to lose a pet.
Im going to go way off the chow track and tell you Tibetan Mastiff. also a dog of chinese origin so the black tongue would be possible. Shar Pei show black tongue also... also chinese. i could be wrong, especially since Tibetan Mastiffs are a Prized posession in China, they are also know for being very protective too.

some pics for you... though the mastiff seems to have more of a mane than yours does... but if its a mix thats highly likely. how big is your pyraneese? because chows arent an extra large dog, previded its mixed with chow it should be a bit smaller than normal. I have also seen pyraneese with merle spotting before too... but never gold.

Attachments

• tibetanmastiff.jpg
    tibetanmastiff.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 6
  • tibetanmastiff2.jpg
    tibetanmastiff2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 7
  • tibetanmastiff3.jpg
    tibetanmastiff3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 3

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks for all of the kind messages regarding Muffin everyone.
Yes Franklin and Tara I see a huge resemblance in the second photo especially but Jack is huge-big for pyrenees and his hair length is amazing-6 inch long . Wish my alpaca's fleece grew that long so easily!
He has a blue spot on his tongue too which I thought may be the chow influence.
He was sold as a European type pyrenees-Some people!!!!:D:D:D:D

He is a big wimp-scared of new things-had to work hard to leash train him and get him in a vehicle etc as previous owners hadn't. He is a super wimpy dog but guards brilliantly all night. Need to get him to a vet for castrating after a few more fun car rides.
Thankfully he is able to cope with us all lifting him in as he won't go in easy into a vehicle yet.He is a lump though-well over 100lbs I think.
Will keep working on him as he is a real love bug-glad we have him.
If he is scared he wraps himself around your legs-it is funny._poor big guy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.