greek dead after 11 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Sorry for your loss. I wonder if the CHE being on at night played a part? Anyone? Humidity isn't critical for tortoises that size, maybe it was from having the CHE off and high humidity, could have gotten a cold. I'm not blaming anyone just think it would be a good thing to learn so it doesn't happen again.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Bummer. i am so sorry. It's hard.

My understanding is that no less than 80 degrees with 80% humidity. That is for hatchlings. However, your older tortoise, let's say it's between 5-8 years old probably did not need that high a humidity level.

I think it was way too humid, and then cold and humid, with the CHE off. And, add to that the stress of being in a new place at your home, coming from the stress of being in the store in that little case, coming from the stress of being flown in, coming from the stress of being wrapped up the way they do to ship them, all nice and tight, coming from the stress of being tossed in to the back of a truck (seen pictures of this, with hundreds on top of one another), tossed and tumbled around after being wild caught in the Jordanian desert (possibly), or the stress of leaving the only home it knew if it was farmed in Slovenia. Those guys go through a lot to get to us. I have 2 and I thought I would lose them also. Lots of baby food soaks and bird vitamin soaks and warmth, my humidity was closer to 40-50%, and even checked on them with binoculars so they would not stress seeing me hovering over them and think I was preying on them It took 2 months to get them to acclimate. Every day I was afraid they would be goners. Finally, they came around and now come when they see me and let me pet them. but they were skittish and sketchy at first and i gave them naughty things like iceberg (why do they like that one so much I wonder) and shredded carrots and banana, just to get them to eat something. Thank goodness now they eat all the right things and lots of variety on a daily basis. But it was scary for a time. Every thing has to be right and quiet so they can feel safe again. What a long strange trip they have had.

I also would ask, or do you remember, if Petsmart had a Russian in the same cage there by mixing species? I read of this being seen and this would be very bad because the Russians are "dirty" with toxic bacteria that will kill other tortoises, I have read. Petsmart peeps, please educate the district managers against this death wish practice, please. I was told district managers will mandate the sharing of cages by different species. Nooooooo .... please.

Some more experience Greek geeks will hopefully chime in. Rest in peace your little Greek. Sorry for your loss. : (

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
[PENSIVE FACE]I'm very sorry for your loss

Life is good

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
So sorry for your loss, poor tortoise must have been sick before you got her. I would definitely look into getting a tortoise from the TFO adoptions or for sale section.
Better husbandry than petsmart for sure.
Thea

Status
Not open for further replies.