Greek Mosaic Died Suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgymom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi - I am new to this forum. "Santa" brought my daughter a rare Greek Mosaic Tortoise last Christmas that was rescued by a reptile rescue person here in Montana. His name is Steve, and we have had him for a year.

I am his main caregiver - he had a large glass home with alfalfa pellets, wooden "house," timothy hay and a couple of large rocks, and a warming light. I didn't know anything about tortoises when we got him, but I tried to learn everything I could, and talked to my "reptile lady" quite a bit the first few weeks.

I soaked Steve twice a week, and fed him fresh greens twice a week. He went outside in the summer, and liked to be held. He seemed very happy.

His house has always been in our living room on the floor by a french door, and he has been fine all year. The only thing that has changed is: A stray cat "adopted" our family and had a kitten, so we have two cats in the house, but they don't pay any attention to Steve, and their food and litter box are in the basement. The other thing was that we put up our Christmas tree over Steve's house, and I think some pine needles would fall in the screen, but not a lot.

Yesterday, I soaked Steve as usual. He seemed a bit lethargic, but he pooped and peed and had a good soak. I dried him off and put him under his light. I usually have his greens ready, but I was out, so was going to get them today. Last night he crawled onto his food tray and sat there, which usually means he wants he food.

However, today when I went to check on him and turn on his light, he was still sitting on his food try. I picked him up and he was dead. His head, legs and tail were out and his eyes were open. My five children are hysterical, and I feel TERRIBLE. What could have happened? I cleaned his cage over the break, and I hadn't changed his routine at all.

Does anyone have any ideas about why he would have just up and died? If he's cold he usually burrows and night, and he loved his heat lamp. Perhaps he had a disease we couldn't see. The sad thing is, there was no sign of distress that I could see, and Montana doesn't have any vet resources for an autopsy.

If we do get another tortoise, I'd like some input into what I might have done wrong. He certainly wasn't neglegted - we really loved him. Any input from some veteran tortoise people would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jennifer from Montana

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm not an expert and I don't really know anything about this species, but you didn't mention a UV light. Did you have one? Also, you said you fed him twice a week. I believe all tortoise's should be fed daily. I'm sorry for loss and I'm sure others here will be able to help you more.

edgymom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coldliz said:
I'm not an expert and I don't really know anything about this species, but you didn't mention a UV light. Did you have one? Also, you said you fed him twice a week. I believe all tortoise's should be fed daily. I'm sorry for loss and I'm sure others here will be able to help you more.

Yes, we had a UV light - and I was told to feed him the fresh greens twice a week, and some kiwi - but that he would live on the alfalfa and hay the rest of the time.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Jennifer,
You were given a bit of wrong advice on the food. You should have been feeding him greens at least 5 times a week. Eating alfalfa pellets and hay isn't good for a Greek tortoises. What were you feeding him for greens?
Were you giving him any supplements? Do you know what your temperatures were in his enclosure. There was definately something wrong with him. Had he been more lethargic this fall and winter than he was during the summer? It could have been a respiratory infection or a kidney problem. Those are the 2 major causes of death in tortoises.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
What Danny said. Also being in a glass enclosure is usually not good for tortoises!

Keep researching, it'd be great if you can get another tortoise!

edgymom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Jennifer,
You were given a bit of wrong advice on the food. You should have been feeding him greens at least 5 times a week. Eating alfalfa pellets and hay isn't good for a Greek tortoises. What were you feeding him for greens?
Were you giving him any supplements? Do you know what your temperatures were in his enclosure. There was definately something wrong with him. Had he been more lethargic this fall and winter than he was during the summer? It could have been a respiratory infection or a kidney problem. Those are the 2 major causes of death in tortoises.

Danny

Danny -

Thanks for the input. I obviously wasn't doing the right things for him, and should have done more research. The reptile rescue lady had had him for some time, and seemed to know what she was talking about. Since he died so suddenly, he probably had been sick for some time, and I didn't realize it. We are so sad, but are hoping to get another one, and this time I will certainly do much more research. I did have a UV light and the appropriate temperature, for him. But, what is good bedding and dry food for him? I was told not to keep water in the tank, just soak him at least twice a week. What might be another good kind of tortoise to look for - I don't really want to buy one from Pet Smart or a big store. Poor Steve.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest you research all available species, decide what one fits your home and you, and contact this site about your choice. I know there are many good, conscious, knowledgable breeders here. I have my favorites and someone will have theirs. So research and ask questions. You have tell spring before you could get one anyway.

edgymom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks - I will make sure to do more research - this particular tortoise was rescued wandering around in Great Falls, MT, and was available for adoption. At the time, his size, age, and care involved seemed suitable for our family. I know we want a tortoise again, not a turtle.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One thing you have in a lot of in Great Falls and is great as food for all torts is prickly pear, so you have an advantage over a lot of tort parents. As for dry food, I'm not impressed with any of it. You'll find in researching that there are many fresh foods and even weeds that are great for torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.