greek subspecies help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Can anyone tell me the subspecies of my Greek? I really need to change her subtrate to match the kind of Greek she is. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0786.JPG
    DSC_0786.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 64

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a T. g. terrestris. Perhaps a picture of more than just the top of her shell will help identify her. If you bought her in the past six months from a dealer or online seller and they had lots of them for sale, then she is most likely a recent import this year from Jordan or Syria. Native habitat would range from oak/pine woodland to arid brushy scrubland.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
I purchased her the beginning of June from a pet store. Thanks for the information. Here is another view of her.

Attachments

• DSC_0803.JPG
    DSC_0803.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0793.JPG
    DSC_0793.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
She could be nebeulensis or terrestris, could you post plastron pics please?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
GBtortoises said:
Looks like terrestris. If you're in the U.S. it's very doubtful that it would be nebeulensis anyway. They are very few and far between in the U.S.

Yey i got it right 9.5 points to me.:D:D:D:D:D:D
Are the Greeks legal in the staes GB?
Here in Spain they are very protected, all the greek species.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All Testudo species are legal here in the U.S., as long as they are within CITES guidelines, imported legally (4"+) or captive born. We probably differ very much here in the U.S. from you in Spain in that, A.)We have no Greek or other species that are native, with the exception of Gopherus ssp. B.)We several levels of government from Federal, State, County on down the line. Not all states acknowledge each others laws, including environmental laws. But the Gopherus ssp. are protected at the state and federal levels to one degree or another.
Some non-native species are regulated by individual states. Not so much that they are "protected", but some states require permits to keep native and/or exotic animal.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Over here all greeks are totally prohibited, hence the black market,
this is why i have so many rescues, the authorities know i have them but turn a blind eye as they know i take very good care of them, They also know that if i get a wild caught one i will hand it straight over to them.

The mediteranean is legal over here with CITES and a high price, also the marginated, also at a price.

At the moment i have a 1 metre iguana staying with me that was found wandering the streets, he is so funny, hubby is scared to death of him when i have him out of the cage..lol

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
bikerchicspain said:
She could be nebeulensis or terrestris, could you post plastron pics please?

Sorry just now getting the picture of the plastron. Not real great about adding photos. Still working on it.

Attachments

• DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.