Greek tort hatchling didn't make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hi all,
I have read this site for awhile and joined recently.

I successfully bred and raised western box turtles before (ornata ornata), so have had some experiece with tortoises. And, with a lot of useful info. from this site, I think I did everything right to provide for my new Greek hatchling. MV bulb for basking, heat lamp over humid hide at night, correct temperatures, daily soaks, fresh greens sprinkled with calcium and vitamin supplements every other day,
ordered the substrate, turtle table and supplemental Mazuri diet from the same place I ordered the tortoise.

He was about three months old, but lethargic and not thriving when I received him. Did get him to eat a couple of times, but otherwise he was very inactive. I put him outside in the afternoons.

Anyway, about three weeks after I got him, he finally gave up. I am hoping to get a replacement, though it's past the "guarantee period."

I have a great set up and really want to raise a healthy Greek tort!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry about your little one passing, and it's unfortunate but sometimes they are just to far gone by the time we get them to save even in the best hands. I do hope you are able to get a replacement...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jill:

I'm so sorry you lost your little Greek hatchling.

What kind of light do you use, and how far is it from the floor of the habitat?

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
emysemys said:
Hi Jill:

I'm so sorry you lost your little Greek hatchling.

What kind of light do you use, and how far is it from the floor of the habitat?

Powersun Mercury Vapor bulb about 16 in. above the habitat. Temp was close to 100F in the basking spot.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Sorry to hear about your loss. :( Good luck finding a nice-new-healthy baby!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.