Greek tortoise ate a dead pill bug

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
I took Spike outside on Sunday to the front lawn for some exercise and sun, and was watching him start to approach what looked like a dead pill bug (it was turned upright and not moving). I saw him sniff it, didn't think much of it, then he ate it! It was a small pill bug that he scarfed down in two bites before I could stop him. Will he be okay?

He seems to be acting normal today, eating his weeds per usual and lounging around his enclosure. I know Greek torts shouldn't have animal protein incorporated into their diet, so will him eating a pill bug have negative consequences?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I took Spike outside on Sunday to the front lawn for some exercise and sun, and was watching him start to approach what looked like a dead pill bug (it was turned upright and not moving). I saw him sniff it, didn't think much of it, then he ate it! It was a small pill bug that he scarfed down in two bites before I could stop him. Will he be okay?

He seems to be acting normal today, eating his weeds per usual and lounging around his enclosure. I know Greek torts shouldn't have animal protein incorporated into their diet, so will him eating a pill bug have negative consequences?
He will be fine. I've heard many reports of torts finding and eating small dead things and eating them. Dead birds, frogs, lizards, and bugs(sometimes alive). I'm not sure if it's something instinctual or if they are craving the protein. It's not something you want to encourage, but as long as there is no poison on it, the rare bit of carrion on accident will not be detrimental.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bug won't harm him.

What I'm worried about is what killed the bug. If it was pesticide, it could be an issue for a small tortoise. Nothing you can do about it now. Soak the tortoise daily for 30-40 minutes to flush its system.