Greek tortoise awake light levels

Zaffy

5 Year Member
My small Greek tortoise is awake, has been since December. Tortoise is getting on for 60 years-old and belonged to my brother who had him from the year dot. Brother did not read up about tortoises just seemed to do his own thing. Vet saw tortoise for the first time last year and said he was in good condition. Slowly, I have taken over the care of tortoise but tortoise is misbehaving. In brother's care he awoke in a specific week in March. This year tortoise woke up in December. Keeping him warm and fed is not a problem but all the talk about low light levels is causing me concern. It will be okay once he can go out but for the next couple of months does he need more light than an ordinary light bulb? Today, I bought an Arcadia Mercury Vapour D3 Basking Lamp, and holder, which provides UVB, UVA, Visible Light and Infrared Heat. The box has a picture of a tortoise on it. However, I have just read a post on this website about UVA being bad for tortoises. Also how close to the tortoise should the bulb be? There is a diagram but I do not understand what it is trying to tell me. I have attached a photo of it. Starting to think I might take new buy back to the pet shop. 20180217_220039.jpg 20180217_220039.jpg