Greek tortoise health questions

Midnight Moon

Hello. My Greek tortoise Marshy has been with me about two years. I'm in the south east so it's winter and at first he kinda seemed to be hibernating a little. I thought maybe he wasn't happy with the unthawed fresh greens I'd feed him or the peat moss substrate. So I changed his substrate to coconut fiber/ground walnut hull and I started back buying fresh greens to feed him. His activity picked up again and he started back eating daily. But when he was kinda mopey I made an appointment with the vet for him. How often does a tortoise need to see the vet when in seemingly good health?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Some people don't take their tortoise to the vet at all unless there is a problem. I am probably overly cautious but I take mine in once a year. and I take in a fecal sample to test for parasites. I would suggest not using the crushed walnut shells. They can cause problems if the tortoise eats any of it when it sticks to the food. You can feed your tortoise on a terra-cotta plant saucer and that should keep it cleaner.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I only take mine when they're sick or when I first get it.