Greek tortoise questions, along with some enclosures questions

Astrochelys

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a Greek (Iberian or Black) tortoise in a year or two but had some questions:

What's their growth rate like generally? I know it depends on a lot of thjngs, but was wondering if it was fed a natural diet, along with Mazuri tortoise diet, given the proper lighting, taken outside for an hour or two whenever the weather is nice, etc. How long would it take to grow to maturity?

The reason why I'm so interested in thai is because I'll be living in same apartment for a few years so I won't be able to give it an outdoor enclosure, but I can take it outdoors and watch it, while I study. That and I won't be able to have s overly large enclosure in the place, maybe a large tub, but I'm still thinking of ideas.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises usually reach sexual maturity a little bit before they reach full size - around 8 or 10 years. Some sooner, some later.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
In my opinion this would be a good size for a hatchling, so maybe for one or two years.

Astrochelys

What size would you bump it up to if they're a juvenile?

Are there any good affordable tubs?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you plan on getting it as a hatchling or a juvenile? A Christmas tree box could work, I think they are around 50 inches long by 20 inches wide by 12 inches tall. Check out the container store. Or check out of farm supply Store and look for a stock tank. This may also get you through a few years if you start with a baby. I got it at Home Depot.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431187582.026302.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
In my country the minimum size required by law is 1 square meter for a juvenile and 2 square meters for a tortoise bigger than 5". I guess that's acceptable, but still very small.

Tubs of that size are hard to find and expensive, it would be cheaper to build an enclosure yourself.

fern4

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a Greek (Iberian or Black) tortoise in a year or two but had some questions:

What's their growth rate like generally? I know it depends on a lot of thjngs, but was wondering if it was fed a natural diet, along with Mazuri tortoise diet, given the proper lighting, taken outside for an hour or two whenever the weather is nice, etc. How long would it take to grow to maturity?

The reason why I'm so interested in thai is because I'll be living in same apartment for a few years so I won't be able to give it an outdoor enclosure, but I can take it outdoors and watch it, while I study. That and I won't be able to have s overly large enclosure in the place, maybe a large tub, but I'm still thinking of ideas.

fern4

Hello,

fern4

This is my 2 year old ibera greek tortoise. Gives you an idea on his size :)image.jpg

Astrochelys

Okay thanks! I'll look into that tub!

It'll be in a bigger enclosure once it's a few years old, I want to give it at least a proper enclosure while its smaller as well.

I'm not sure if I'll get a baby or juvenile, but probably a juvi since I heard that's the best for a first time owner.

Astrochelys

Don't mean to double post, but would this be okay for an adult Iberian or Black Greek tortoise?:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40279788/#/90279781

I was just planning to move up gradually to it, but if I get a juvenile I could jump right into it. After all, the larger the space the better right? I keep on thinking that it has to be just the right space, not too big, not too small, but that's just because I've been keeping tarantulas for a while haha.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The bookcase could probably work for an adult. Babies need a little more humidity and it's hard to do in an open topped table which is what the bookcase would be. I'm not sure what the timeline is for juvenile versus adult, as to when less humidity is needed. They do not need very high humidity like the leopards orsulcata do when they are babies. So I guess if you were getting a hatchling or a very young one I would go with the tub, and if you were getting one that was an adult or close to it I would use the bookcase. Outside is always best but we do what we can do right? Even a little outdoor time several times a week is better than nothing that's for sure.

Astrochelys

Thanks! I'll probably try to get a CB adult or juvenile that isn't as fragile. I was looking at another thread that was made a while ago and was thinking about doing the same as they did, taking one of the shelves and covering one of the ends. Even though it's not 1/2 or probably isn't 1/3, more like 1/4 or so, that will be covered, but it'll be better than nothing. They'll have a hide or two of course.

Is this species more of an arid one? How much humidity do they need?

And I'll be taking them out for an 1/2 hour/1 hour or so everyday when the weather is good, so I hope that's okay. Will that eliminate the need for a UVB light until winter?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Just want to jump in really quick and point something out.

There is no such thing as a "black" Greek. This is a made up name by falsely informed importers/collectors to describe darker colored animals that can belong to a number of subspecies that are part of the Testudo graeca (Greek tortoise) species group. So please keep that in mind. A black Greek can be a T. graeca marokkensis from Morocco or it can be a Testudo graeca ibera from Turkey not to mention a few others. This is important to know because those 2 subspecies I listed need different care and come from completely different environments in nature.

Also, they are not "Iberian" Greeks, instead they are known as ibera Greeks or more formally Asia Minor tortoises.

Hope that helps and please follow the guidelines being given by our members, you will be steered in the right direction.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the care sheet for Greek tortoises in the species specific section. It will give you The information you need.

fern4

Seems to be large for a 2 year old. I guess he/she didn't brumate?
Nope. From what I've read people have very different opinions on this. I live in Minnesota where 6 months of the year is winter, 4 months is usually chilly and you might get 2-3 months of wonderful warm weather if you are lucky. Fern is kept inside. It's the only option I have so he has not hibernated. I've never been told he is too big so who knows....he's perfect in my eyes and that's what matters I guess.