Greek tortoise questions, along with some enclosures questions

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
I've never been told he is too big so who knows....he's perfect in my eyes and that's what matters I guess.
I think he would be too big if he had brumated. He is normal for a tortoise without brumation.
But if @Astrochelys wants to keep the tortoise small until he has an outdoor enclosure, it would be wise to brumate it.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Yes, I'm in Austria. But as far as I know the minimum sizes in some other European countrys (for example Switzerland) are similar.
In switzerland (legally) the minimum is 8 times the shell length for lenght and 4 times the shell length for the width of the enclosure.

Recommenden minimum sizes are way bigger than that though!

Last edited:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
In switzerland (legally) the minimum is 8 times the shell length for lenght and 4 times the shell length for the width of the enclosure.

Recommenden minimum sizes are way bigger than that though!
You are right! I should have looked it up...
Somehow I'm disappointed now, I always thought Switzerland had quite good animal protection laws. :confused: But at least your law requires brumation. ;)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
You are right! I should have looked it up...
Somehow I'm disappointed now, I always thought Switzerland had quite good animal protection laws. :confused: But at least your law requires brumation. ;)
The law does only state this tiny enclosure, but if you mention going below 10 square meter for an adult mediterranean tortoise, you'll probably be lynched by people on different forums. ;)

Astrochelys

Just another simple question, do you guys spot clean and change the sub regularly? Or more often?