Greek tortoise shell got darker after 3 weeks outdoors

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Hope this is not serious....

I have had my greek tortoise for about 6 years now. He has been living indoors almost 100% of the time since I live in a cold climate (Norway). He has had a good diet and always 2 types of UV lights in his enclosure (tube and mvb). His health has been good.

I built an outdoor enclosure for my Greek tortoise with a coldframe about 2-3 weeks ago on a south facing balcony that gets sun from 9am to 6pm. He has been outside 24 hours a day for the last 2-3 weeks. The outdoor temps have been around 16C-23C during the day and 10C-13C at night. The temps in the coldframe have varied from about 24C to 33C depending on the cloud cover from day to day.

I have a outdoor camera pointed at the enclosure. My tortoise has spent most of his time in the coldframe. He exits the coldframe about every 3rd day. He has food both inside and outside the coldframe.

I just went to take a good look at him. It was 10pm, so he was a sleep under some hay in the coldframe. He woke as soon I lifted him up. He felt quite warm even though the outdoor temperature is 13C. His eyes looked normal. What worries me is that his shell looks darker. (Sorry no picture aince it was quite dark outside). The parts of his shell that were normally yellow, especially the sides, have turned darker.

Does anyone know what the reason is?

Picture of the enclosure.20190615_160153.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They usually darken with age, but putting them outside also causes this. I think it's the sun.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The sun is the cause of all that is good or bad. Lots of :tort: darken when exsposed to natural sunlight. Nothing to worry about

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wow I didn't even notice the enclosure. Great looking enclosure you can sit there and chill with your tortoise