Greek tortoise sleeping for 48+hours

taemo

Location (City and/or State)
calgary, ab, canada
Hi all,

we got a greek tortoise back in February and he seemed to be doing well until the past 6-8 weeks I noticed that he's been sleeping for 2-3 days, on the 3rd day I usually force him out in the basking light and eat some salad but he usually stays awake for only 2-4 hours before going back to sleep again.
the basking/uv light spot goes up to 90F and the cool spot is around 68F(our room temperature).
i installed a ceramic heat emitter on the cool spot and the first day, he woke up during the day the first 2 days then afterwards he's been going back to sleep for 2-3days non stop.
he is about 10 months old, almost 3" shell size and enclosure is 31"x18" big.
when he's awake he eats about 2-3 leaves of salad and I havent seen any poop from him for almost 2 weeks now.

is he still trying to hibernate, still a young greek tortoise or should i have a vet check on him.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 6

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome to the Forum

What is your overall lights on/lights off schedule? Lastly, usually when torts “sleep” for long periods they are just not warm enough overall 24/7. How are you measuring, where are you measuring? Hows the enclosure. With a lid or no lid?

Theres lots of great info under the species section. You might have already found this - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

taemo

calgary, ab, canada
Greetings & Welcome to the Forum

What is your overall lights on/lights off schedule? Lastly, usually when torts “sleep” for long periods they are just not warm enough overall 24/7. How are you measuring, where are you measuring? Hows the enclosure. With a lid or no lid?

Theres lots of great info under the species section. You might have already found this - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/
hi, thanks the reply
the ceramic heat emitter powers on the cool side by where the tortoise sleep from 7:30am-3:30pm
the UV and Light/Heat bulbs powers on from 9:30am-9pm

I have a small thermometer on the cool side and right now is around 66F (evening at 8:15pm), the hot side is at 88f right now with a thermometer probe on the ground where the light is.

enclosure is 18"x31" cardboard with 1" of cypress mulch bedding, no lid as well. sometimes the tortoise sleeps under the half log but lately hes been sleeping on the far left side behind some fake plants.

edit: thank you for the link, i've read some guides about greek tortoise but that not that link, it is great!
perhaps i should change my heat emitter to go through the night and UV/heat light bulb during the day.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

we got a greek tortoise back in February and he seemed to be doing well until the past 6-8 weeks I noticed that he's been sleeping for 2-3 days, on the 3rd day I usually force him out in the basking light and eat some salad but he usually stays awake for only 2-4 hours before going back to sleep again.
the basking/uv light spot goes up to 90F and the cool spot is around 68F(our room temperature).
i installed a ceramic heat emitter on the cool spot and the first day, he woke up during the day the first 2 days then afterwards he's been going back to sleep for 2-3days non stop.
he is about 10 months old, almost 3" shell size and enclosure is 31"x18" big.
when he's awake he eats about 2-3 leaves of salad and I havent seen any poop from him for almost 2 weeks now.

is he still trying to hibernate, still a young greek tortoise or should i have a vet check on him.
Its much too dry, and not warm enough. 66-68 at night is a little cool for a baby. Daytime basking temp should be 100 under the lamp.

You can't maintain humidity with an open topped enclosure and you can't maintain the necessary dampness with a cardboard box. The enclosure is also too small.

It looks like you are using a cfl type UV bulb? Those sometimes burn their eyes. It makes them not want to eat and hide all day to avoid the eye pain.

Here is the current and correct care info. Make these changes before it is too late, and your tortoise should come around:

Be aware that you will get all the wrong info and bad products from pet shops, vets, some breeders and sellers, and from most online sources.

Questions are welcome.