Greek tortoise stops walking

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The way I would do it is to start every day with a soak and then put the tort under the basking lamp for a couple of hours after that.

If you need to be out when he should be moved out from under the lamp, use a timer that will turn the lamp on and off automatically for you. Then if he doesn't move and you can't do it, he won't cook.

For mist people the lamp gets left on all day, but I am aware that the climate in Cyprus might mean he overheats if he doesn't move himself.

The temperature at the level of the top of his shell needs to be 35C.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Also, is you worry about it being too hot under the lamp, move him to the side of the basking spot. One of my tortoises naps right beside the basking spot and goes right underneath in the morning and after shes eaten.

Giannis

It is with great sadnes that I have to inform you that Sandy passed on last night. I have proven myself inadequate to keep her when she was healthy but also to save her from the sickness my irresponsibility has caused. People think that tortoises are easy and hardy but they are not unless you follow certain basic rules. I have done everything I could and used every mean in my disposal to save her. I am sorry. RIP Sandy

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is with great sadnes that I have to inform you that Sandy passed on last night. I have proven myself inadequate to keep her when she was healthy but also to save her from the sickness my irresponsibility has caused. People think that tortoises are easy and hardy but they are not unless you follow certain basic rules. I have done everything I could and used every mean in my disposal to save her. I am sorry. RIP Sandy
I am so sorry to hear this. :( RIP Sandy

Please don't punish yourself too much. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to make things better - and sometimes there is nothing you could have done to prevent the illness either. You cannot know that she was 100% healthy when you got her.

Please accept my sympathies and an electronic hug.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my condolences on your tortoise's passing

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do a forum search on Rainbow Bridge for tortoises I wrote it 2 help people who have lost a tortoise

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
So sorry for you and Sandy. Don't take all the blame for this. It may not have been anything you did. Maybe she was already sick when you got her. There may not have been anything you could have done.