Greek Tortoise Subspecies ID

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Hi... I have recently acquired a Greek tortoise, she has a really nice look shell color and still a bit shy in her new outdoor enclosure.

Can anyone on this forum please help me identify the subspecies of this Greek tortoise? Thank you.
IMG_20220422_164652425_HDR_800.jpg

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
While I am not certain, it looks similar to Greek tortoises imported from Syria fairly recently. Those are believed to be Testudo gracea terrestris but they look a lot different from the golden greek tortoises that are also the same subspecies.

If you really want to know with certainty, DNA testing is now available for this. Short of that I’m not sure you will get a definitive answer from visual appearance.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
While I am not certain, it looks similar to Greek tortoises imported from Syria fairly recently. Those are believed to be Testudo gracea terrestris but they look a lot different from the golden greek tortoises that are also the same subspecies.

If you really want to know with certainty, DNA testing is now available for this. Short of that I’m not sure you will get a definitive answer from visual appearance.
Interesting... I tried to compare it to other subspecies from other online reference, I just can't tell the subspecies this tortoise belongs to.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi... I have recently acquired a Greek tortoise, she has a really nice look shell color and still a bit shy in her new outdoor enclosure.

Can anyone on this forum please help me identify the subspecies of this Greek tortoise? Thank you.
View attachment 343904
I love the colour of its shell.