Greek tortoises

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
IMG_2347.jpg

Bought both my tortoises from tortoise town. I was told they are Greek. What does everything think? Have had them since they were hatchlings.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
They are marginated tortoises. They look similar to Golden Greeks when they are hatchlings, but their plastrons are very different.

The Greeks have random black splatter marks on their plastrons. Marginated tortoises have triangle marks (see photo).36467271_250196245569402_8707661672807923712_n.jpeg

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
Here’s some more pics just to confirm IMG_2349.jpg IMG_2351.jpgIMG_2350.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Alright so similar care as Greeks.
Yep! Both are Mediterranean species so their care, humidity, diet, etc, is the same. They are very beautiful tortoises! I'm sorry you were misinformed by the seller. But they certainly do look like Golden Greeks as hatchlings and literally the only way to know the difference is by their plastron markings.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Yep I love my torts. What do you do for your tortoises In the winter enclosure wise.
I keep all mine indoors with the same lights, humidity, and heat during cooler temps. I'm in southern Arizona and winters here do not get very cold. So I cannot recommend anything for brumation. I'll let some other members with more experience in that area advise.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
What do you use for a indoor enclosure
My Russians are in tortoise tables that I built. An entire room in my house is nothing but tortoise tables for them.

My Greeks are still very young so they are in very large heavy-duty Rubbermaid tubs. I have 5 of those set up in another room because I keep my different Greek subspecies separated.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Here is one of my Greek hatchling enclosures. I have hatchlings of 5 different subspecies (Northern Turkey Ibera, Ankara Turkey Ibera, Northern Moroccan, Libyan, and Mesopotamian/Golden Greek). They all have the same substrate, lights, humid hides, cuttlebone, and some random landscape decor. By New Year's they will be ready for more space and I will build them tortoise tables. All of them are only a couple inches in size right now, 2-4 months old.20181026_103216.jpeg

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
Alright looks great. What do your marginated torts look like? Do you have any pics of there enclosures

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Alright looks great. What do your marginated torts look like? Do you have any pics of there enclosures
I don't have any marginated tortoises at the moment. I have sub-adult Russians that are ready to start breeding next spring. I'm raising Greeks from hatchlings to breed when they are big enough, and in the future I would like to add Marginated, Egyptian, and Pancake Tortoise species to my breeding program. My speciality focus is in Testudo graeca.

I do have a website up... www.sweetgreektorts.com