Greek Winter Foods

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Hi all! I’m getting some Nabeul tortoise or "Tunisian Spur Thighed tortoise" (Testudo graeca nabeulensis) from Chris this spring and getting things ready. Been doing lots of reading and wondering about foods. Lots of posts many conflicting, but mostly wondering about winter foods as I live in Washington State. Ya, I can get dandelions and plantains here but not too much else that is here. I can grow some house plants to feed too but just wondering what most do for food in winter. I’ve read “Spring Mix” from the produce section, is that just the bags of mixed lettuce? I’ve read conflicting information on Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, appears to me it is OK as long as not the major part of their diet. Am I correct? So I guess my main question is: What is the major part of their diet in winters where people can’t go out and get fresh plants?

My yard is VERY shaded from all the fur tree so even garden space in the sun for just a few hour or so during the day is limited. I’m thinking of building a small hot box for some summer time plants, hibiscus and other flower types. One plant I can’t find any information on is Desert or Apricot Globemallow, Sphaeralcea ambigua. (I loved seeing this plant in shaded canyons when hiking. I use to live in the desert but now I’m moss covered!) I want to try growing indoors along with some cacti. I’ve read it is OK for our California Desert tortious but not sure if OK for Greeks?

Thanks for any help!
Larry

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
In wintertime lots of people use dried herbs/weeds to increase the nutritional content of fresh grocery greens. I do the same and add ground up grasses to increase fiber content. @Kapidolo Farms sells a wide variety of dried supplies.

I’m also ordering some nabeulensis from Chris, super excited!

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
In wintertime lots of people use dried herbs/weeds to increase the nutritional content of fresh grocery greens. I do the same and add ground up grasses to increase fiber content. @Kapidolo Farms sells a wide variety of dried supplies.

I’m also ordering some nabeulensis from Chris, super excited!
Can't wait!!! Thanks for the information and link to Kapidolo.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I hope Chris has better luck with the nabeulensis this next spring/summer. I had prepaid for hatchlings from him during the Fall of 2018 that I was hoping to receive during this year's breeding season, and now I'm continuing to wait to hopefully get them next year. Looks like the waiting list is growing now too!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In the cold months, I feed my Russian a salad mix with herbs in it, and supplement with rehydrated hibiscus and wakame, along with some occasional mazuri.

Jamie