Greek woke me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Mill, SC
This morning my golden greek tort woke me up around 8am(before her lights were on) trying to eat the old food that was in there yesterday, so I took it out and put some new fresh greens in there for her when her lights came on at 9am. Has this ever happend to anybody else? Is this common for them to get up before their lights come on?

Thanks.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
I dont know mine only get up after lights come on but i guess they could decide to get up and eat whenever they want.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
More than likely your tortoise was waking up to light in the room through a window. They go by first light, not necessarily when their enclosure lights are turned on. If temperatures are warm enough at the time of waking for normal activity they will begin foraging for food before the "sun" (their light) gets hotter and more intense.

In my opinion 9 am is much too late for the lights to be coming on. It should be more in tune with when the natural light is available in the morning. The time to have the lights on when the sun isn't out is at the other end of the day in order to be able to provide more light during winter months for them to remain active during that time.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Mine are outdoors, but occasionally they will be up and eating just before daybreak when it is light out but the sun is still not up. This is rare though, most of the time they just get up and go to their favorite basking spot to wait for the sun to show up there.

Steve

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
6:00am here i set an alarm for me to wake upto turn the light on then bed again for a couple of hours! :D

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Every day for the past few days both of mine have been up at 7. The smallest one works so hard to get to the food that she usually falls asleep on the way over. Then the other one won't touch any of the greens until she's had her Mazuri. It's like a comical mess.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mine are outside as well...they are up a little before sun up and bright...I have Haus who is like the most exact with his schedule....he comes out and moves ever so slowly to one of two spots waiting for the sun.....then in the evening he has been spotted out after the sun is down but always tucks himself in before darkness sets.....the other guys have their similar gig....

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
For some reason, mine wakes up and goes to sleep at random times. I don't think it has a regular schedule yet, but it is getting enough sleep!

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
Mine likes to stay up late and sleep in lol he's usually up at about 10 or so but he goes to bed pretty late.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Mine goes to his hide about 9:eek:opm and gets up about 9:eek:oam fed at 11:eek:oam but his light is always on at 6 and of at 11

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
Tyler0912.... why don't you get a timer switch to turn on your lights at 6am?... that way you don't have to get up yourself! They are not that expensive and sometimes you can get them very cheaply at Lidl or Aldi.... I love mine :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i will do that! :D ill' chech at lidl and aldi! :D just did not think lol :) where did you get yours from?

sam22188

5 Year Member
Fort Mill, SC
Yea. I have mine on a timer to turn on at 9am, because my work schedule is 11-7pm. So I have her light come on when I get up, so I can feed her. And I have her light go off at 10pm, she is usually sleeping before I get home from work. But I know on the days I am not at work, she is up all day walking around and eating throughout the day. Its so funny how they seem to have such comical personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.