Green blotch behind baby turtles eye?!?!

Celestenicole

Location (City and/or State)
Ky
I noticed my three toed box turtle had a green spot behind her right eye a couple days ago and its still here. Is it an infection or could it be grass stains?? Anybody know anything about this???media_5c034e95db6ba2.77433344_23ab12968bfab69f953802d84f9719ee1b2cd0048a90aa8aa10fb1d6cdb1deeb.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi! So I see that green spot but I also see a red spot to the left of it. The red one looks like a wound.. maybe I'm wrong?

Celestenicole

Ky
Yes, the red spot is from earlier today. I put a new kind of substrate in her tank today and ever since then it really seems like shes trying to hurt herself. Shes been trying to climb up the walls and get out NONSTOP. She would throw herself onto her back, lay there sprawled out, and not even try to flip herself over. She would fall/jump into her water dish and keep her head under water for lonnnng periods of time. Shes also been pacing back and forth, corner to corner. Im thinking that when she fell, she cut herself. I also thought that maybe its just the infection spreading (if it is one).

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
It may be just me but that wound looks nasty. Definitely keep an eye on that and see if the green stuff spreads. But someone more experienced in turtles will come along I'm sure:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would be more worried that there's a harmful agent in the new substrate that she's trying to get away from. The green just looks like algae slime to me.

Karenp

Michigan/SW Florida
I noticed my three toed box turtle had a green spot behind her right eye a couple days ago and its still here. Is it an infection or could it be grass stains?? Anybody know anything about this???View attachment 258627
I'm so sorry your tort is not well.
To help you better, could we please see a picture of your enclosure with the new substrate?
It sounds like she is absolutely miserable. :(
I would also post your picture & story under the 'Tortoise Health' section for more people to see.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Celestenicole

Ky
I put her in a whole new tank completely with a whole new set up and she loves it and is much happier. Both the green spot and the wound are gone! I wish I could get a better picture of the tankSnapchat-659192174.jpg Snapchat-2103645785.jpg