Green house in Arizona

KateZ

I am looking for advice. I recently acquired a 13 month old Leopard. I have a huge back yard and beautiful habitat built for him (once he is old enough and the weather warms). I am considering having a greenhouse built for the side yard to be used during the colder winter weeks in Scottsdale, Az. Is this advisable? Is so, what size would you recommend? Would 8 feet by 8 feet be about right? I like the idea to provide extra warmth for him and yet let him roam around. It would also allow me to grow more flowers, plants and produce IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0024.JPG items for him. Photo 2 is the greenhouse I am considering. New outdoor habitat I built for him.
The last photo is the little guy enjoying the Arizona sunshine. I appreciate any advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just bear in mind the interior greenhouse temperature, on gray, no sun days, is as cold inside as it is outside. It only warms up inside if the sun shines on it or if you have a heater inside it.

I have this greenhouse in my backyard:

new Greenhouse 10-16-14 day 6.jpg night house a.jpg night house b.jpg

Three tortoises live in there. During the summer the greenhouse doors are open and the tortoises come and go, but now, during cold weather, they're locked up in the night box (there's a tube fluorescent bulb at one end inside), only occasionally getting out and into the greenhouse because it's just too cold in there. This greenhouse is too big and too drafty for a heater, depending upon the sun for heat, and there isn't much of that.

KateZ

Yvonne your set up is amazing. I really like it. It look as if you have lifted the greenhouse up higher than soil. Is that recommended! Will you grow plants, flowers etc?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Just bear in mind the interior greenhouse temperature, on gray, no sun days, is as cold inside as it is outside. It only warms up inside if the sun shines on it or if you have a heater inside it.

I have this greenhouse in my backyard:

View attachment 195444 View attachment 195445 View attachment 195446

Three tortoises live in there. During the summer the greenhouse doors are open and the tortoises come and go, but now, during cold weather, they're locked up in the night box (there's a tube fluorescent bulb at one end inside), only occasionally getting out and into the greenhouse because it's just too cold in there. This greenhouse is too big and too drafty for a heater, depending upon the sun for heat, and there isn't much of that.

What tortoises do you have in there?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used a green house for a couple winters. I would run a heater. It worked out good. On the days you have good sun, you shouldn't need the heater. The heater I used was a fan heater so the heat was blown across the ground.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne your set up is amazing. I really like it. It look as if you have lifted the greenhouse up higher than soil. Is that recommended! Will you grow plants, flowers etc?

My tortoise partner, Will, built the greenhouse for me and he put it up on cinderblocks so that during the hot summer we could uncover the openings in the blocks to allow air flow. I have a Madagascar tree in the center and a shelf of succulents that are too tender to leave out during the winter, but mostly there's just grass in there and a couple of hibiscus for the tortoises to eat.