Green water in outdoor turtle pond

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have been having trouble keeping my pond clean . So I bought a UV filter good for 1200 gallons . I also have two biological filters good for 500 gallons each . My question is should I just install the UV filter and not drain the pond or drain the pond risk killing the fish and refill ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either. Draining will clear water faster and your UV filter won't have to play catch up so much. I have never lost a fish because of draining my pond. I used to drain it to just enough water to cover them. The safer way is to remove them and place them in buckets. You can also just attach the UV and let it take the time needed to clear it up. If you have lots of sun on your pond, you might be fighting an almost losing battle. I also would lose a lot of the green and hair algae just by replacing the water. Adding some shade and/or plants will help with the green water too. Good luck in whatever way you decide.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hooked it up and dropped it in the pond already . I added water hyacinths last week . They grow fast so should help shade the pond a little . I think I will drain it half way to get it a little cleaner . Hopefully this will work it has been driving me nuts all winter .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is working clearing up a little more every day .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well the UV filter is kicking green water butt ! You can almost see the bottom . I can see my gold fish swimming .

Attachments

• 1431033375911.jpg
    1431033375911.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 26