Greenhouse supplement for RF outdoor enclosure

HarvestHerp5

Location (City and/or State)
Harvest, AL
I have a 2 1/2 year old (new to me about 6 weeks ago) redfoot. She is in an outdoor enclosure for the summer and early fall. Her enclosure is huge, about 150 square feet. I live in Alabama so the humidity is nearly always 80%+ and the temps in the 70s-80s overnight. Daytime the temps vary from 80-100. She has plenty of shade and sun. I was wondering if putting a greenhouse in her enclosure would allow her to stay out longer before I bring her in for the winter. Which type looks better? rigidgreenhouse.jpg popupgreenhouse.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @HarvestHerp5 and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry; I cannot help you here: am not a tort expert. Le's tag the experienced members for help.

@Yvonne G @Tidgy's Dad @Tom your help would be highly appreciated, here. Thank you all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would only use one that she can freely go in and out of. They can get really hot and without being able to get too a cooler place it could over heat. If you cut a door so she could go in and out I would get the second bigger green one.

HarvestHerp5

Harvest, AL
I think I should clarify that I would be using this once the ambient temps/humidity drop in the fall. That's not usually till October here. I will have to figure a way to make a door/flap for easy access. Maybe a tunnel using a flower pot?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My opinion is that greenhouses don't work good for tortoises, the tortoise doesn't benefit any more by being in a greenhouse than being in an inside enclosure because the uv rays are blocked by the glass or plastic which ever is used. It's gets colder here than it does in Alabama, when the ground gets cold it stays cold and that probably holds true there also. The air heats up inside the greenhouse but the ground doesn't. I think she would benefit more if you built a heated box for her to stay in when the temps are cool and then let her out to roam around when the sun has warmed things up.The ground outside of a greenhouse heats up pretty quick in a sunny location. Also at night inside the greenhouse will be the same temperature as outside the greenhouse without some type of added heat. I tried several different designs of greenhouses and wasn't satisfied with the results pertaining to tortoises with any of them.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
As stated, you could use one of the above as a supplemental area, so long as the tortoise is free to come and go. I've seen it done, and have considered doing it myself, but it stays pretty warm in Texas. A heated night box, or a burrow may be better.

If you do decide to try a small greenhouse, I would suggest trying the top one. I've used the bottom style, and the plastic is kinda weak.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just built this night box for my reds . Works great . They'll go in and out all winter long . I just have to make sure on colder days to keep them locked in .

Attachments

• 1505387767787.jpg
    1505387767787.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 30

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I just built this night box for my reds . Works great . They'll go in and out all winter long . I just have to make sure on colder days to keep them locked in .

Mike, where are you located? How harsh are your winters? I'm trying to build something similar for this winter.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm in Texas . Here in the Houston area it can get down in the mid 20's . For the most part it's in the 40's then drops to low 30's at night . My sulcata tortoises have similar houses and they come and go as they please . I'm getting my reds to follow suit . I put them in at night and open it up in the morning. Days that I know will be too cold I'll keep them locked up . I had them in a shed with the same heater setup . But it sucks to pickup 7 large reds and let them out . Plus I'm going to change the shed up a little to keep my two leopard tortoises in . Also making a place for some yellows.