Greeting from Seattle!

winterspring056

Hi folks I just joined the forum yesterday after getting two beautiful baby indian star tortoises. I am new to raising tortoises and expect to learn a lot from this forum. The two little guys are about 50 days now. Very excited about them. And of course, got pictures for you guys!
t2.JPG t3.JPG t1.JPG

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I live in Walla Walla. There are several of us up here in this part of the country. Those are some very pretty tortoises. Check out the star tortoise section under the species specific part of the forum. It will give you a lot of great information.

winterspring056

Welcome to the forum. I live in Walla Walla. There are several of us up here in this part of the country. Those are some very pretty tortoises. Check out the star tortoise section under the species specific part of the forum. It will give you a lot of great information.
Thanks for the info!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. They're beautiful. I love Stars. I am in Spokane. Everything I have read about these guys is that they are fragile, and the environment really has to be right. Humidity and heat especially. There are great care guides in the Star section. Congratulations, and best of luck with those beautiful babies.

winterspring056

Welcome to the forum. They're beautiful. I love Stars. I am in Spokane. Everything I have read about these guys is that they are fragile, and the environment really has to be right. Humidity and heat especially. There are great care guides in the Star section. Congratulations, and best of luck with those beautiful babies.
Thanks! I am getting a thermostat to help control the temperature of the enclore. No kidding, nights in Seattle are much colder than many people believe.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Where did you buy them? The dishes you're using can be dangerous. The steep sides can cause them to flip over. Can be a drowning hazard. I use terra cotta saucers for all of my water dishes. I use paving stones for food. The rough surface helps maintain the beak. Thermometers are really important. You can get digital ones that measure temp and humidity for about $10 at Lowe's. They are a lot more accurate than the disk ones. I have also found my temp gun, again from Lowe's, to be invaluable.

winterspring056

Where did you buy them? The dishes you're using can be dangerous. The steep sides can cause them to flip over. Can be a drowning hazard. I use terra cotta saucers for all of my water dishes. I use paving stones for food. The rough surface helps maintain the beak. Thermometers are really important. You can get digital ones that measure temp and humidity for about $10 at Lowe's. They are a lot more accurate than the disk ones. I have also found my temp gun, again from Lowe's, to be invaluable.
Thanks a lot. I am actually looking for a low water dish today and I will give terra cotta saucer a shot!

winterspring056

And FYI, I got it from Arizona tortoise compound. I believe they still have a few indian star babies available.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Adorable little torts!
I agree with the terracotta saucer idea and feeding slate to keep the beak trimmed.
Also, are you using a coiled or compact bulb ?
if so, it should be replaced with an MVB or strip light as the coiled bulbs can hurt tortoises eyes.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and a link to the Star tortoises forum, if you need it.http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/indian-star-and-burmese-star-tortoises.94/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

winterspring056

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Adorable little torts!
I agree with the terracotta saucer idea and feeding slate to keep the beak trimmed.
Also, are you using a coiled or compact bulb ?
if so, it should be replaced with an MVB or strip light as the coiled bulbs can hurt tortoises eyes.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and a link to the Star tortoises forum, if you need it.http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/indian-star-and-burmese-star-tortoises.94/
Thank u! I am using zoo med reptisun for UVB and its basking spot lamp for lighting and heating. They should be fine right?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't think so.
Does it look like upload_2015-10-9_9-57-9.jpeg or
image0022.jpg
?
If so it is potentially harmful to your tortoise and:eek:r doesn't produce enough UVB and should be replaced with an MVB or strip light.