Greetings from a newer owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracoluna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bend, WI
I happened to run across this link today and thought it would be a good way to improve my knowledge and understanding of my Russian tortoise, Henry. Though I've had reptiles and bred snakes for many years, Henry is my first turtle/tortoise as I've always been a bit hesitant to own one. I feel that if you get a pet, you take care of it for its entire life and let's face it, the lifespan of a tortoise can be a bit daunting. I regularly do presentations for groups such as our humane society, girl scouts, boy scouts, and schools on reptiles as pets and kept getting asked about turtles/tortoises so I finally decided to go ahead and get one to really see what it was like. I must say, my entire family has fallen in love with Henry who is a Petco bought (I know, I should have found a breeder) Russian with an amazing personality. She loves being out in the yard (pesticide free because my beardie also grazes out here) along with being out in the house. She doesn't let the dogs or cats bother her and has never had a problem eating. As I type this, she's currently mowing through one of my dragon's favorite patches of dandelions. As long as we don't tell the dragon, it should be ok. ;)

I do have a few questions about her enclosure options along with winter care but I'll ask those in the Russian Tortoise section.

Dracoluna

5 Year Member
West Bend, WI
Thank you! I'm already learning so much from reading the posts here. Glad I found this forum. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome!
be careful letting her graze if it isnt a safe enclosure.. they tend to run off and dissapear before you notice!

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
yea just watch it with those russians their sneaky little devils the will dig a hole and you wont see them for several days. Also welcome learn much

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
Welcome...and yes, this site is great! There is so much information and people are very willing to help and give honest advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I would not let your beardie and your wc russian hang out int the same spots, even at different times. Wild caught russians are know to carry all sorts of nasties.

Status
Not open for further replies.