Greetings from Annapolis Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
Hey all. I recently liberated 2 Russians from a pet store which I named Putter and Driver. I got both because you know, you can't break up the pair. I currently have them in a an old aquarium while I design and build a tortoise table. They are getting ZooMed grassland tortoise food. They also get fruit treats every few days, not too much. I had a Repti Glo 26w 10.0 UVB compact bulb but I took this out and have ordered a tube style UVB light as I understand this safer for their eyes. There is also a ceramic light to provide heat. At night there is a 75w blue heat lamp light. One is very active and one kinda chills in the hide spot. I'm hoping the UVB light will bring him out of his shell, no pun intended. As I design the tortoise table I'd appreciate any input you have. I think I have one male and one female based on their tales. I will post pics soon to help with sexing.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hey Eddie, Welcome to the forum, I believe you are the closest member to me, I have a house in Huntingtown, down RT 2 from you. I do spend most of my time across the river in Colonial Beach Va, though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I hope your building two enclosures. They should be separated. Russians don't get along with others and this may be why the one hides away. One will bully the other and eventually the one being bullied will get sick or die. Tortoises would rather live alone. So, I highly recommend two enclosures.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Did you happen to get them at the House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie? That's one of the nicer pet stores around the Annapolis area. I used to live in Pasadena but moved to the eastern shore.

Welcome to the board.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello Eddie, I heard that russians are very solitary and don't need companion. Yours might be different, but please monitor them a lot just in cast there might be a bully there :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO from a California member with Russians!

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
No I did not get them from House of Tropicals but I will check them out. They seem to get along, the sleep next to each other and I haven't noticed any biting incidents or injuries. I think they may be male and female. I will take a pic and post and get other opinions. I'm going by tail length. I was looking into getting some Leopards too. Are you better in pairs or groups?

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.