Greetings from Arizona!

Larry VZ

Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Hello all!

I have been checking out tortoise forums and decided to join this one and just wanted to introduce myself. Since retiring and moving to Arizona a few years ago I have discovered a love for the Desert Tortoise which I never even heard of until moving here.

I live about 60 miles north west of Phoenix and the Sonoran Desert is my playground because to my way of thinking, adventure begins where the blacktop ends. My favorite thing to do is explore the desert in my Jeep and a couple of years ago I came across an adult Desert Tortoise at the top of a small but very high and rocky hill. I’d never seen one before so I stopped to watch and photograph it for a bit. When I returned home and learned what it was, I learned that most Arizonans can live here their entire lives and never see a Desert Tortoise in the wild. I felt very privileged indeed! Last year, I saw another and when I heard that volunteers were needed by a state sanctioned wild life rescue facility I knew what I wanted to do in my spare time.

There are about 100 of these wonderful creatures of all ages under our care here, and last week a staff member told me that one of the babies was occasionally falling onto its back and needed to be more closely monitored than could be provided at the center. Also, she said, its shell is soft and the little thing generally just needed some watching and TLC. Of course I said yes and it went home with me that afternoon.

Since then, I’ve been reading constantly, trying to learn all I can about what may be wrong with it and what I might be able to do of all the forums I have checked. This one has answered all of my questions so far and I wanted to join. Thank goodness, we haven’t had any mishaps yet and it has been eating well and keeping all four feet on the ground. It spends most of its time sleeping but it spends most of its time outside its burrow and I am really enjoying having it here.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome Larry. I'm in Houston but had spent more than half my live in Southeastern Arizona. You live in some beautiful country for sure. I started to read you intro and got a little worried. I thought you were going to say you took that one on the hill from the wild. Thank you for volunteering your time to help the DT's in Arizona. We have another member here who went and rescued a few too.

Welcome!!!!!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum, Larry. I am jealous of you encounter with a wild desert tortoise. Hope that sometime you will share some of the photos you took.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). So glad this forum could answer your questions, everyone here does try to help everyone. This is a great place to learn and share. Good luck with your little one, keep us updated, share pics and anything else you would like.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Larry, and welcome to the Forum!

I keep my baby desert tortoises just like I would keep a baby sulcata, so you can read the sulcata care sheet for help. Also, there's a very experienced guy in Bakersfield, Don Williams, and he has a care sheet:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome Larry!! I'm jealous too! I have always search for CDT while riding dirt bikes for years and I have never encountered one but I always keep my eyes open! So glad you found us here.
We would love to see the photos you took of him and pics of your new little baby!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How awesome to get to see one in the wild. Now you have your own little one to help raise up. :) Glad you have joined us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

There is a lot of bad DT info out there. Maybe even mrs than for any other species. The number one killer of these babies is dehydration. Almost everyone keeps them unnaturally dry and out in the open dry air in the hot sun. This is just not good for them. I've started dozens of babies many different ways, and the difference in health with a little bit of water is astounding.

Anyhow, I typed this up for russian tortoise, but all the info applies to DTs as well. I raise baby DTs in exactly the same way and it works really well.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hope these help.

Ida

Welcome fellow Arizonian I too live in North Phoenix almost to the end of the pavement lol. I'm raising 1 female desert tortoise in my back yard. I found the love for them too, quit interesting creatures. Share pictures.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you in Wickenburg? I live In Wittmann. and have three Sonorans. I miss them during the winter.