Greetings from California!

TerrapinDream77

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
Hello all,
Tortoise Forum has definitely expanded my knowledge on torts and how to care for them, so I finally decided to sign myself up and get involved.
My name is Megan, and my baby sulcata and I reside in Northern California not far from San Francisco. I brought him/her home on July 27th, and still haven't decided on a name!
The setup is within a glass terrarium and includes aspen bedding, a sturdy hide box, a shallow water dish, various basking rocks and a small food dish. I am using an under tank heater and a basking lamp, and plan on installing a UVB light when my local pet store is back in stock. In the mean time, I have been taking my tortoise outside in the sun everyday, where he/she enjoys roaming around and eating grass.
Besides grasses and occasional rose leaves from the backyard, I feed him/her different lettuces (mostly romaine and red leaf), sometimes spinach, small pieces of carrot and grape leaves. The pet store I bought him from recommended 'gourmet tortoise food' which he/she rarely eats, but does pick at the carrots, sweet potatoes and hibiscus flower petals in the mix once they are saturated with water.

I have found many different answers on this forum and various tortoise care sites, but I still have some questions and concerns for the wellbeing of my new friend:
-I plan on moving him into a new, larger setup soon, like a large storage tub. Is it stressful for the tortoise if he cannot see out the sides of his enclosure? The tub is an opaque white, not see through.
-Is there a better substrate I should be using, or a combination of different kinds? From what I've been reading on this forum today, I'm assuming aspen mulch alone is the wrong choice. The past two mornings the skin around his eyes has appeared slightly dry and flakey, so I have been sitting him in warm water for about 20 minutes, and I do see him submerge his head to drink. He has also been sleeping much more. Could the current setup be too dry, and what should I do to fix it?
-Is the under tank heater necessary, and should the basking lamp be on all the time, or just during the day?
-What else should my tortoise be eating? Are there plants that should be avoided? How much and how often should he be eating?
-How often should I be adding calcium powder to his diet?

If there is anything else I should be doing, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from the community. Thank you so much!!
image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Megan, and welcome to the forum!

Change your substrate to something you can moisten. The baby needs to live in a humid environment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Coconut coir is a good substrate to use, holds humidity well and won't mold. An enclosure they can see out will stress them much more then one they can't see out. Stop using the under tank heater and get a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat and a Mercury vapor bulb for uvb. However, if you can get him outside a few hours a week, then you don't need inside uvb. They need temps of 80 along with humidity of 80% and a basking of 95+. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the proper care. Your tort is already showing some pyramiding, so the sooner you get the humidty up, the faster the pyramiding will stop. Also, soak him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Megan.
You ask very good questions. Have you read the care sheets pinned at the top of the sulcata and leopard sections ? Most of your questions are answered there.

Your baby's shell shows signs of a too dry environment. This can be solved by following the set up & care info.

I've found that spagum moss & coco core are great for substrata and can be dampened to provide humidity which will remain if you cover the top
Enclose the chamber. A piece of plexiglass works well for that.

I used a heating pad made for people at the bottom of my substrata set on low to keep temps in my enclosed chamber for baby leopards between 80-90f all the time. Took them out daily for natural sunlight. The heat pads sold for reptiles are crap IMO.

Couple things I'd suggest you get
- a temp gun. This shoots a lazer beam and shows you them temp wherever you point it. They're about 20$ at Home Depot or Lowes.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436354044.233303.jpg

And ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436354098.386102.jpg
An Accurite temp/ humidity gauge. It was abt 20$ too. Same place.
This has a remote sensor you can hang in enclosure so you can always see what's going on in there. Especially humidity.

After you read up on care sticky's , take a look at the thread in " debatable topics" about the use of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil ( EVCO) for shells. The jury is still out on its use but I recommend it for combating the desiccating effects of overhead lamps.

Good fortune to you and your new family member :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A wonderful little tortoise-GOD bless. Take good care of it.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Hello & welcome. I picked up our Baby July 3rd. She was still too young as her umbilical had not closed. But with lots of help and advice here I have her in an acceptable environment now, and she is doing great. Umbilical is closed now! Hope you like it here!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. The Forum has valuable information which will help you to raise a healthy tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum.

Good to have another forum member from the Bay Area. Welcome! ! ! !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Megan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your beautiful baby.
You've been given a lot of good information and links already but I'd just like to add.
1) I use a small tile or slate for food as this helps keep the beak trimmed.
2) A cuttle bone can also help do this, though some won't touch them, and it also provides calcium.
3) A couple of times a week should be sufficient for added calcium on the food.
4) for a water bowl, use a shallow terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate that is big enough for your tortoise to lie in, so he can soak himself. These are also very cheap.
5) To know which plants are safe to eat I use http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
good luck, you've come to the right place to ensure a happy time for you and your tortoise.