Greetings from Central Florida

AmKristie420

Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hello everyone! My name is Kristie and I'm from Florida. I recently rescued a tortoise from horrible living conditions. I don't know much about Tortoises so I was told to come here for help. I Look forward to some much needed answers!

AmKristie420

Central Florida
Hello, Kristie and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your rescue.
Many people here will be happy to help.
Do you know what type of tortoise you have first of all ?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
should give you some general information in the meantime.

From what I gathered off the internet I belive he is a Sulcata. When I first seen him he was at his original owners house in a kiddie pool with only his head sticking up out of the water! And While I don't know much about tortoises I do know that they don't live in water. He told me that he bought it for his older daughter 5 years ago when the youngest was born. His shell has lots of pryamiding (I believe thats the term used). I explained to the guy that he shouldnt be living in water. His response was "well he hasnt even ate in 2 weeks, take him home if you think you can take care of him". With that said, I scooped him up into a bucket and brought him home.

11951293_1193632010653092_840103606211958899_n.jpg

Attachments

• 11903843_1194262953923331_4847148511643472079_n.jpg
    11903843_1194262953923331_4847148511643472079_n.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 23

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, a sulcata with some pyramiding, but frankly it's incredible he's alive at all.
Still a pretty looking tortoise.
Thanks for saving him..
Please read the link I posted plus. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
Ensure you keep up the humidity along with the temperatures to prevent further pyramiding.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions, someone should be about to help.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
I wish you good fortune with your Sully :)
He certainly needed saving. I think you will find that Florida is a great place to take care of him.
Once you set up the right environment it become fairly easy.

It would be great if he has lots of outdoor time , especially now in the summer. But they are little escape artists , be aware :)

After you study the care links provided , there are many people here who can help you with ideas.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
From what I gathered off the internet I belive he is a Sulcata. When I first seen him he was at his original owners house in a kiddie pool with only his head sticking up out of the water! And While I don't know much about tortoises I do know that they don't live in water. He told me that he bought it for his older daughter 5 years ago when the youngest was born. His shell has lots of pryamiding (I believe thats the term used). I explained to the guy that he shouldnt be living in water. His response was "well he hasnt even ate in 2 weeks, take him home if you think you can take care of him". With that said, I scooped him up into a bucket and brought him home.

View attachment 145810

Oh my goodness that FACE in the last picture! So adorable!!
Reading the links provided and following the advice of the people above me will greatly help this cutie-patoodie

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club

View attachment 145810
Thank God you rescued this guy!! He is absolutely adorable!! You will get lots of help from sully owners on her!

AmKristie420

Central Florida
Yes, a sulcata with some pyramiding, but frankly it's incredible he's alive at all.
Still a pretty looking tortoise.
Thanks for saving him..
Please read the link I posted plus. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
Ensure you keep up the humidity along with the temperatures to prevent further pyramiding.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions, someone should be about to help.

I was actually wanting
Welcome.
I wish you good fortune with your Sully :)
He certainly needed saving. I think you will find that Florida is a great place to take care of him.
Once you set up the right environment it become fairly easy.

It would be great if he has lots of outdoor time , especially now in the summer. But they are little escape artists , be aware :)

After you study the care links provided , there are many people here who can help you with ideas.

I've been taking him out as much as possible to explore the yard and munch on grass. I have this little section of my yard fenced off. It was once a garden (many moons ago). Its a mess but we are in the process of cleaning it up and we're going to make it his outside living area. I think it should be big enough for him. I'll make sure to post pictures of the clean up and rebuild process.

I'm still researching what to bury under the fence so he can't dig out. Suggestions? 11897171_1194084417274518_429892113_n.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. Thank goodness you spotted him.

Alaskamike

South Florida
What I did

I got some 2x12boards and buried them 6" down around my chain link. On the inside. Staked them in
That has proved okay
Provides a bit of sight block from fence.

For my larger Sulcata , I stacked another 12" board on top of that

Nice thing about that system is you can add to it as needed.

It was easy.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert Kristie !
m0754.gif
You did the right thing ! :)