Greetings from Central Texas

Jwreaks

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the whole tortoise thing and y'all looked like the perfect source of info.
I have a 3-4 month old Russian. I picked it up from Petco so age is probably wrong. I have it in a small childs pool with about 2 inches of of top soil. The weather here had only given me the option of wet topsoil. They store top soil outside at the store. It has a hidey hole which is a plastic log and a ramped water bowl with about 1/2 incheck of water. I have a 2 bulb fixture with a UVB bulb and a UVA heat bulb. This is temporary until I can build a tort table. Any suggestions will be taken and greatly appreciated.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
A kiddie pool will work as an indoor enclosure, or a temporary outdoor enclosure. Put at least 6 inches of substrate in it, topsoil without pesticides and fertilizers etc. is fine. And you wanted to be slightly damp, at least underneath. You don't want it dusty. Also, your tortoise is probably more like 10 years old. Check out the Russian tortoise section here and look at the care sheet. It will give you a lot of great information. And we love pictures of tortoises and their enclosures. You can also check out the enclosures section for ideas.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you in the parts of Texas that almost floated away? :) it sounds like the pet store gave you some bad information, don't feel bad many many of us have had that problem. You will probably end up returning a lot of what they sold you. I did. A large outdoor enclosure would be great, if you dry out any day soon. Check out the care shades and come back with any questions you may have.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
Please make shire the pool has a lot of holes so the tort don't flood .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434333763.375454.jpg Russians rule !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoise is more than likely 8 to 10 years old and almost full grown. So he really needs to be set up outside.

Jwreaks

This summer has been strangely wet and we're still on a flash flood watch until Thursday evening. I am in the area that got the floods this past couple of weeks. I would really prefer to keep him inside as I have 4 dogs and we have screech owls that nest in our trees plus my back yard floods. I know I can put a top on it but being indoors would make it much easier I would think. The humidity here has been about 85-90%.