Greetings from Denver!

Pauli

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, CO
Hi All. My name is Pauli. I’ve already learned quite a bit by reading on this forum and I finally decided to become a member so that I could post. I grew up in the Mojave desert and I loved caring for hurt tortoises, befriending ones that would come to me, and they have always been my favorite creature. I decided it was time to possibly (hopefully!) commit the rest of my life to one. Who am I kidding? The chances are good that I will get another one or two down the road! Today I got a baby Russian tortoise. I decided on a Russian because of how arid it is here. No name yet and because it’s small I’m not sure of the gender. I spent time looking at wild caught cuties but decided I rather begin with one that comes with a fairly clean slate, so to speak.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Great to have you here. Welcome.

Pauli

Denver, CO
Here are a few pictures. No, I’m not leaving the plastic top is there. :) I’m working on the humidity and have read so many different things about it. I wish there was ONE right way!

Attachments

• 38EC50CE-D3E9-4403-B06A-BC7AE63B0CDE.jpeg
    38EC50CE-D3E9-4403-B06A-BC7AE63B0CDE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DD71F983-9B49-412D-AA19-33D72C8804F8.jpeg
    DD71F983-9B49-412D-AA19-33D72C8804F8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Russian hatchling humidity levels are around 40-70%. Damp substrate and a humid hide is all you need if you can already meet the required temperature zones.

Pauli

Denver, CO
Russian hatchling humidity levels are around 40-70%. Damp substrate and a humid hide is all you need if you can already meet the required temperature zones.
I believe I’ve got the temperature levels fairly correct. But the air here is very dry. The humid hide also doesn’t seem to be an issue. So now it’s figuring out how much of the top I need to cover to get humidity correct. Thanks for those numbers - I’ll take it!