Greetings from Fresno, California!

BladeShark

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Hello Everyone,

Newbie here. My name is Jim and about a year ago I acquired 4 California Desert Tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) after a family friend passed away. The kids didn't know what to do with them so I offered to take them in. I did some reading up and got my yard ready and safe before welcoming them to their new home. They have been a joy to have around. 2 adult males, 1 adult female and one little one of undetermined sex. I'm not sure but I think the little one may be mostly blind. It doesn't move around as much and doesn't react to movement the same as the others. Said another way, it doesn't act as "aware".

They slept for most of the winter. 2 adults are awake now but moving very slowly. I haven't seen them eat yet and they are normally voracious eaters. They apparently were accustomed to a diet of Kale.

I’m sure I'll have questions as I go through this journey and I'm really pleased to have found this group.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jim!

It would be a good idea to separate your yard and move one of the males to live on his own. Two males against one female isn't a fair fight. I would keep one male, the female and the youngster together, and one male on his own. let me know if you need the registration form to apply for a permit to keep the tortoises. I have them.

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
Thanks Everyone!

It's great to also see other central California members. It's good to know I'm not alone in this out here.

Yvonne, thanks for the heads up on the permitting. In my reading up on the desert tortoises I must have overlooked that requirement. I found a link to the application and will make sure it gets submitted.

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
This morning I spoke with the grand-daughter of the previous owner. She is the most familiar with her and the tortoises before she passed away. She said that they were registered with the state but doesn't know where the tags are. Should I reregister them under my name or can they just change the record of ownership based on the name? If these are used for population counts I shouldn't be doubling up.

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
One thing I found out is that she had the female for 23 years and was full grown when she found her. The other 3 are her children, 2 of which came from eggs she layed soon after she came to the family.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This morning I spoke with the grand-daughter of the previous owner. She is the most familiar with her and the tortoises before she passed away. She said that they were registered with the state but doesn't know where the tags are. Should I reregister them under my name or can they just change the record of ownership based on the name? If these are used for population counts I shouldn't be doubling up.
You would need their registration numbers to transfer ownership. If they can't find the old paperwork ( hint: it's blue). then just re-register. In the space for where you got them you can mention the name of the deceased owner.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All the best with them! Make sure to get their diets and living conditions right according to the information on this site!