Greetings from Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

kukov

10 Year Member!
Hi guys,

My name is Calvin, and i am from Hong Kong (too!). I am also a potential Sulcata tortoise owner. I’ve been browsing the site and reading a lot of posts before deciding to post, as I am more of a forum lurker than well a poster. The atmosphere seems so friendly and welcoming!! :D I have been doing some research over the course of the last few days to gain a better understand needs, such as their heating, diet, substrate, and housing. You will have to forgive me if I sound long winded, and perhaps ignorant as I am trying to be as well informed as possible when preparing for a new pet.

First of all I am concerned to the availability of the goods here in Hong Kong, as I live in an urban jungle and a culture which raising a dog or cat is more popular. So the choices in stocks are quite limited to me. (theres no Home Depo or walmart gardening/ DIY sections where I can pop down to and help myself to some of the recommended materials ) To illustrate my point most reptile stores here of which I know of two more renowned ones are about only about 600 square feet.

I have encountered several stumps while doing my research I am still unclear on some areas where there are conflicting advice. Such as substrates, some say grass Hay, some say organic top soil (perhaps to maintain the humidity and for a little garden?), others say cypress mulch. But again I am concerned as to the availability of these goods. To my knowledge reptile pet stores are relatively rare here and I know of 2. Of substrates available here http://www.reptileparadise.com/dry_substrates.htm ok? They personally recommend fine sand (e.g. Repti Sand, Calci-Sand), compressed paper granules (e.g. Good Mews), but I heard that sand is not good for the turtles as it may get in any open orifice and cause infections.

Secondly as Sulcatas grow to enormous sizes I am considering to DIY as many of you have done or buy a premade one. I’ve heard that open air such as tortoise tables are excellent for these turtles. What are your opinions of some of the cages available here? http://www.reptileparadise.com/dry_substrates.htm. personally i think they’re inadequate, as after looking at some of your DIY I cant help but feel inspired!

Lastly what should I consider when looking for a healthy Sulcata? I have heard that its eyes should be not glued up, nose should be blocked, should have a relatively hard shell with no deformities, and legs are capable of raising its torso (shell) well off the floor, and of course adventurous. Are there any other things I should look for or be aware of?

Thank you for your kind consideration and patience for reading my essay :p, any comments or more readings that you can refer me to will be fantastic and vastly appreciated!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Kukov. Is that your name? I have a Cherry Head Redfoot, but there are plenty of Sulcata owners here who will point you in the right direction.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome, he said his name is calvin.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Calvin :)

Danny

kukov

10 Year Member!
hahaha :D thank you for the warm welcome guys its much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.